• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Need Dental for 12 Yr Old Kid in FL that Needs Braces

timamr

Guru
100+ Post Club
I was informed today that my son needs some dental work. He is 12. Basically, he needs braces. The Dentist said with all the work done, it would come out to $4,680. They said they would do $800 down with the remainder spread out over $162/month over a 24 month period.

Does this sound like a good option or is there insurance out there in FL that would be less expensive AND NOT have a waiting period?

I would be careful and not too hasty, check out THIS THREAD

If you are already paying $5,000 for braces, I would be hesitant to spend anything more.

Most dental insurance will have a 6 to 12 month waiting period before they cover things like orthodontics. I have 2 kids in braces and no insurance because I could not make it make sense to pay a premium in addition to what the braces would cost. If you had coverage already, it would probably help, but outside of that, I would probably take the deal, or see if you can get it done cheaper. $4700 is about what I paid for each pair.

As far as value goes, most of the time a discount card/program is going to cut the cost more than anything else. Getting insurance now is like getting insurance when your house is burning down; there is already a claim happening, you just want to give them a few bucks and have them pay out a great deal more than that. Insurance companies can't stay in business if they operate that way.

Back