• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Dental/Vision/Hearing

I have sold the Humana DHMO plan (C550 in Georgia) in the past when someone wanted immediate coverage, no waiting period, no annual cap on benefits. Pretty decent plan as long as you understand what you are getting.

VERY limited network of par providers.

I think it is (was) around $15 per month.

You don't need much to be a decent plan under $20 with immediate cov

sounds decent

I have sold the Humana DHMO plan (C550 in Georgia) in the past when someone wanted immediate coverage, no waiting period, no annual cap on benefits. Pretty decent plan as long as you understand what you are getting.

VERY limited network of par providers.

I think it is (was) around $15 per month.
Beggers cant be choosers

Just got some info on an association plan using Delta Dental. Appears to be different from the one Travis mentioned as the premiums are different. There are three plan options. In my zip code (and it may be the same across all zip codes, I really don't know yet), the premiums are $27.71, $54.00 and $60.01 (slightly less than double for Individual +1). This is in addition to the $10.95 per month association membership. The plans have a carryover credit for any unused portion. They also have no waiting period for major services which is likely appealing to some folks. The two higher premium plans have a $3,000 benefit and pay 70% on major services.

The downside here is I can see people enrolling, getting their crown completed and then dropping the plan. It's likely going to cause premiums to increase in the future.

It could very well be the same plan, just priced slightly differently for a different association.

One of the things travisprice may not have mentioned is that the AFEUSA dental plans also have a third, lower priced, option. The pricing you mentioned, plus $11, shows three prices very similar to what travisprice's group prices are.

They are Delta Dental Select plans, underwritten by Delta Dental of Illinois.

In regard to enrolling, getting treatment, and then dropping the plan, I think Delta Dental of Illinois may have that covered, in a way. Please note that I said MAY. When I first started looking for information on the plan, I think I saw somewhere that if someone enrolled and then dropped the plan, that Delta would not allow re-enrollment for 12 months. I am not sure about that because I have not been able to find that statement again. (That provision would be similar to a provision I found in a special Ameritas plan, so the idea seems reasonable to me. I just can find the documentation again.)

I don't know about their individual dental plan but if its anything like their MA plan Dental,

I often see 2K benefit but the coverage % is not good

minimal cov on maj

and the way it set up you really won't reach that 2K max even if you need a lot of work

and on top of that, the networks blow

The C550 was a very good plan as long as you understood the parameters. No waiting period. No annual cap.

Looks like they call it the Dental Value Plan now.

Dental HMO (DHMO) Insurance | Dental Value Plan - Humana

The fillings are limited to two per year. Not sure what root removal means.

It does not seem to be a plan that is very friendly to tooth repair and retention unless one is starting out with healthy teeth.

The fillings are limited to two per year. Not sure what root removal means.

It does not seem to be a plan that is very friendly to tooth repair and retention unless one is starting out with healthy teeth.

It $15 for that price range its good enough any decent dental will be 3 to 4X th price

One of the things travisprice may not have mentioned is that the AFEUSA dental plans also have a third, lower priced, option. The pricing you mentioned, plus $11, shows three prices very similar to what travisprice's group prices are.

There is a $30-off plan.

And it's garbage.

$50 deductible with basic and major, 50% Co insurance on all services. It does have rollover..

However, anyone that actually knows about insurance knows that plan is going to do almost no good for anyone.

Let's say you have ordinary services and overall it's $400..

Your beloved "network pricing" (or cash pricing) is $80 less (or 20%)

320 for services. You pay $160. You paid $360 for $160 in coverage pretty much every year.

One year, you have a root canal and crown. 5k

4k in services, minus $50 deductible... You're paying 3k out of pocket, IF you didn't get eaten into with your cleaning, xr, and ov.

Analyzing VALUE is what we do. For double the price you get 3x the coverage amount, 40% more in coinsurance coverage, and a $150 deductible on major and basic services.

Cheapest, in this case, is garbage. It's why I don't offer it and why you carry 3 policies to have your needs met.

There is a $30-off plan.

And it's garbage.

$50 deductible with basic and major, 50% Co insurance on all services. It does have rollover..

However, anyone that actually knows about insurance knows that plan is going to do almost no good for anyone.

Let's say you have ordinary services and overall it's $400..

Your beloved "network pricing" (or cash pricing) is $80 less (or 20%)

320 for services. You pay $160. You paid $360 for $160 in coverage pretty much every year.

One year, you have a root canal and crown. 5k

4k in services, minus $50 deductible... You're paying 3k out of pocket, IF you didn't get eaten into with your cleaning, xr, and ov.

Analyzing VALUE is what we do. For double the price you get 3x the coverage amount, 40% more in coinsurance coverage, and a $150 deductible on major and basic services.

Cheapest, in this case, is garbage. It's why I don't offer it and why you carry 3 policies to have your needs met.

True the better plan is the better plan

However, there is some who just want a cheap basic plan

They feel they have to have dental because they had with work but say I only get a cleaning and maybe a filling or 2 a year and don't want to pay for better cov

The way I look at it is I don't chase dental I only sell it because with some its easier to sell than to listen to them ask questions about plans you don't sell

But I don't chase just go with the least resistanse if I sell something I want to get at least some reasonable commish and the plan has to work well

I like Manhatten life for the indemnity feature the freedom and the vision and hearing included

I like your plan because no waiting and good dental coverage

There are other clients though that just want the basic for lot less

Though I don't trust humana to not market my clients so I don't think I will do the humana for that option either

True the better plan is the better plan

However, there is some who just want a cheap basic plan

They feel they have to have dental because they had with work but say I only get a cleaning and maybe a filling or 2 a year and don't want to pay for better cov

The way I look at it is I don't chase dental I only sell it because with some its easier to sell than to listen to them ask questions about plans you don't sell

But I don't chase just go with the least resistanse if I sell something I want to get at least some reasonable commish and the plan has to work well

I like Manhatten life for the indemnity feature the freedom and the vision and hearing included

I like your plan because no waiting and good dental coverage

There are other clients though that just want the basic for lot less

Though I don't trust humana to not market my clients so I don't think I will do the humana for that option either

My point, in that case, is that they do way better off by just self insuring and I would be incredibly direct about that. I'm not going to say no to a sale if they really want it.. but most people that I talk to like the frankness when I tell them not to be like LD.

I get what you're saying, but at the same time you have to consider when you sell garbage when they could just self insure, it comes back to bite you when they wonder why they're paying for it.

I think that options are okay.. but I don't go into depth about dental to begin with. Manhattan might be great for people with VH needs, but we're talking about the same basic price point at 3k, I believe.

And truly, dental really is such a low value micro-optimization I think we take too much time trying to "figure it out."

Last edited:
My point, in that case, is that they do way better off by just self insuring and I would be incredibly direct about that. I'm not going to say no to a sale if they really want it.. but most people that I talk to like the frankness when I tell them not to be like LD.

I get what you're saying, but at the same time you have to consider when you sell garbage when they could just self insure, it comes back to bite you when they wonder why they're paying for it.

I think that options are okay.. but I don't go into depth about dental to begin with. Manhattan might be great for people with VH needs, but we're talking about the same basic price point at 3k, I believe.

And truly, dental really is such a low value micro-optimization I think we take too much time trying to "figure it out."

This (the part in bold) is why I almost never sell dental plans.

Back