when can someone leave a medicare plan to join an Employer plan?

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
its usually the other way around, but I have a customer that has to go back to work #Bidenomics

She has a medigap and PDP. The employer plan will be competitive coverage, but the plan will cost her only about $25/mo.

If she decides to take the job, will she be able to drop the PDP and join the employer coverage immediately?

The first thing I would do if that is the case I would have her to drop Medicare Part B. I would make sure that she drops her Medicare supplement and drops her Medicare Part D as well.

I have seen it very few times that a plan outside of Medicare for example a group plan makes sense when given the Medicare option Sure there are many people with government jobs depending on the plan that have Cadillac drug and health plans that are considered group plans but I find it hard to believe that a plan that cost $50 a month for them is not going to be a plan that has no deductible no copays no coinsurance Etc. I would have her to get a copy of her new plans benefits co-pays maximum out of pocket deductibles Etc and then make a recommendation whether she should go on that plan or stick with her Medicare Plan

its usually the other way around, but I have a customer that has to go back to work #Bidenomics

She has a medigap and PDP. The employer plan will be competitive coverage, but the plan will cost her only about $25/mo.

If she decides to take the job, will she be able to drop the PDP and join the employer coverage immediately?
Everything @Packerland said plus:

If she decides to come back to OM later, she can qualify for a supp without health questions if done during OEP. (Assuming she dropped part B)

Everything @Packerland said plus:

If she decides to come back to OM later, she can qualify for a supp without health questions if done during OEP. (Assuming she dropped part B)
So I'm starting to see Open Enrollment questions on MS apps ask if it was their 1st time on Part B.
Does that mean they will only give 1 open enrollment in this persons' case?
Haven't had time to suss this one out.

So I'm starting to see Open Enrollment questions on MS apps ask if it was their 1st time on Part B.
Does that mean they will only give 1 open enrollment in this persons' case?
Haven't had time to suss this one out.
I've only seen one carrier ask it. That was ACE. Needless to say I didn't use them.

Probably be more soon.

I know we don't look at disenrollment election periods too often, but to answer your question, yes, there is the "SEP for Disenrollment from Part D to Enroll in or Maintain Other Creditable Coverage" -- so as long as the employer plan has creditable drug coverage, she can drop the PDP (in writing to the carrier).

Why would the number of EE's have anything to do with it?
Because anything under 20 is not considered credible to be able to drop Part B without possibly facing a late penalty when picking up Part B later.

There's also the Part D creditability to consider.

Back