• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Shredder or no shredder?

WinoBlues

Guru
5000 Post Club
Years ago I would buy and burn out a couple of shredders a year.

Then I started waiting until I had a half dozen bins. I would then take them to a non-profit (ARC) for shredding @$10 ea.

Over the years companies send more and more emails vs paper. Yeah, still to much paper.
How about paper apps and service forms?

Questions:

Do you use a service or have a shredder?
How about dead files after they time out?

I know, I know scan everything. Working on it. But then I will have 4 file cabinets full of files to deal with.

Years ago I would buy and burn out a couple of shredders a year.

Then I started waiting until I had a half dozen bins. I would then take them to a non-profit (ARC) for shredding @$10 ea.

Over the years companies send more and more emails vs paper. Yeah, still to much paper.
How about paper apps and service forms?

Questions:

How about dead files after they time out?

I know, I know scan everything. Working on it. But then I will have 4 file cabinets full of files to deal with.

I have a shredder but I have a few boxes of old files to get rid of.

A lot of communities have "shredding days" where you can just dump your stuff in a secure bin/truck and call it a day.

I'm going to ours Sat a.m.

I burn in an old smoker. I got tired of burning out shredders. Some lighter fluid, a match, some hickory logs, and a brisket, and it all turns out well without harming any of those poor defenseless shredders.

And everything reduced to a handful of flash drives is a wonderful thing.

I have a heavy duty fellows takes 23 pages at a clip . I fill 2 55 gallon bags every yr plus use weekly . It’s worked like a charm for 5 yrs . Costs about $230 . Well worth it

I shred as I go, unless I'm purging paper and then I burn the mountain. I learned a while back how to clean, grease and oil a shredder, I've only burned out 1 in many years. I suggest 3-In-One oil All Temp Silicone, squirt it right onto the rotating blades.

You been using this one for too long? :eek:

th

A good shredder was a gift from my son (can't remember the holiday), yes, oil to grease and this one is here to stay. I am shredding on regular base. Still paper oriented. :dull:

I'd like to have a more regularly scheduled community dropoff for shredding, but there's no telling when the next event will occur. I bought a heavy-duty Bonsaii shredder which shreds 16 sheets at a time (micro-cut) to get rid of stuff I want safely disposed of NOW. It's worth the $100-$130 I spent to feel secure and have a machine that is reliable.

Back