• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

What dental plan do you have?

The reason it ignores the concept of risk is because dental insurance doesn't cover much risk. I could almost say "any" risk, because most people would not feel that $1000, $1500, or $2500 represents a true risk to their financial security.
Most dental plans pay a paltry $1k or $1500 in benefits. Some go as high as $2500, and I even saw a $5k plan a while back. (not sure what the fine print was on that though)

Because consumers aren't mitigating a risk, they're really just buying these plans to cover anticipated needs for dental work. So I think you're reading the situation correctly: if your premium dollars aren't completely recovered by the dental services you received, you more or less wasted your money.

That being said, what I feel are the best plans out there are Medico, GPM, and Ameritas. They at least cover Implants, while almost every other plan does not.
So, the GPM is UW by Ameritas. Does the GPM pay better than Ameritas?

I've had Ameritas for several years. They look better than they used to. I'm going to give them another look and compare premiums with Manhattan.

cehinton said:

That being said, what I feel are the best plans out there are Medico, GPM, and Ameritas. They at least cover Implants, while almost every other plan does not.

You forgot:

United Health Care (Golden Rule) has plans that cover implants - dental gen plans age 64+ and dental premier plus for individuals & families and Mutual of Omaha will pay 3k lifetime max on Dental Preferred and 2k max on Dental Protection for implants.

Ameritas, it gives you first day coverage on everything anything major is like 15% if i remember. Then jumps to 50% YR 2.

So, the GPM is UW by Ameritas. Does the GPM pay better than Ameritas?

I've had Ameritas for several years. They look better than they used to. I'm going to give them another look and compare premiums with Manhattan.

When you look at Ameritas again, keep in mind the network discussions awhile back by @sshafran and @Chazm and see how that works out in your area.

So I think you're reading the situation correctly: if your premium dollars aren't completely recovered by the dental services you received, you more or less wasted your money.

I disagree with the concept that good in relation to dental plans means recovering your premiums paid. I think that is what people use and I think that is why they come up saying dental insurance is bad. Even if you just prepay for cleaning, the ins co is justified in retaining some of the premium, for administrative overhead and managing your money and dental budget for you.

I think dental insurance has to be considered to cover risk as well, the risk of needing other service beyond the cleanings, and the premiums paid for that may, or may not, be recovered.

cehinton said:

You forgot:

United Health Care (Golden Rule) has plans that cover implants - dental gen plans age 64+ and dental premier plus for individuals & families and Mutual of Omaha will pay 3k lifetime max on Dental Preferred and 2k max on Dental Protection for implants.

UHC could also be considered by @HoosierLife

See post 5 in this thread for an agent recommendation of that product.
https://insurance-forums.com/commun...-adds-netword-to-dental-hearing-vision.99188/

(Best Life and Health Insurance dental coverage could be a good choice on the exchange, if available in your state.)

Whether your provider is in network will be considerations with both UHC and Best.

Last edited:
Rob Lion said:

Ameritas, it gives you first day coverage on everything anything major is like 15% if i remember. Then jumps to 50% YR 2.

I think they made some changes to this in several States recently, but I can't find the deleted email.

When you look at Ameritas again, keep in mind the network discussions awhile back by @sshafran and @Chazm and see how that works out in your area.
They also have a plan that has no network. I think Ameritas is overpriced and there's no coverage for hearing aids. I'll probably stick with Manhattan. Better for the client and better for me too(pays about 3 times as much FYC commission). :yes:

Back