After Public Push, CMS Curbs Health Insurance Agents’ Access to Consumer SSNs

Duaine

Guru
100+ Post Club
Until last week, the system that is used to enroll people in federal Affordable Care Act insurance plans inadvertently allowed access by insurance brokers to consumers’ full Social Security numbers, information brokers don’t need.

That raised concerns about the potential for misuse.

The access to policyholders’ personal information was one of the problems cited in a KFF Health News article describing growing complaints about rogue agents enrolling people in ACA coverage, also known as Obamacare, or switching consumers’ plans without their permission in order to garner the commissions. The consumers are often unaware of the changes until they go to use their plan and find their doctors are not in the new plan’s network or their drugs are not covered.
[EXTERNAL LINK] - After Public Push, CMS Curbs Health Insurance Agents’ Access to Consumer SSNs - KFF Health News

Obamacare is not my market, so I don't know how many of those apps require the SSN, but if this move will stem the tide of rogue enrollments I am all for it.

MA is also not my market, so I don't know if MA apps require the SSN. But I am aware that there are a number of agents and carrier agents that make a habit of poaching and churning existing MA policyholders. Easy pickings, especially with no underwriting, no premium (in many cases) and confusing sales pitches.

I understand the dual market is highly susceptible given the frequency with which plans can be changed during the year.

SSN's have nothing to do with the enrollment fraud that's going on. You don't need a SSN to make that switch

Agreed. This really makes zero sense. I also work the ACA market, and I don't need anyone's social security number. Also, I read that report about so-called "rogue agents."

And they found there was really only data about this in like 2 states, and it was under 15 cases. Hardly the "epidemic" they're trying to make it out to be.

Another reason I cannot stand the media. Sensationalism at its finest. Likely just another calculated trojan horse by "Commie Medicare and Medicaid Services" to try and make the agent's life as difficult as possible.

Been saying it forever, but we really need to work to get some of our own people on the inside in this garbage 3-letter agency so that they can understand how insurance and agents really work, because they are absolutely f*cking clueless.

They should be much more worried about the immense fraud, waste, and abuse epidemic going on right now between crooked hospitals, medical facilities/labs, and doctors that are costing taxpayers multi-BILLIONS of dollars every single year.

Agents just trying to do their jobs and assist and help people should be the least of their concerns. But yet they consistently do everything in their power to take a billy club to our kneecaps.

Last edited:
Agreed. This really makes zero sense. I also work the ACA market, and I don't need anyone's social security number. Also, I read that report about so-called "rogue agents."

And they found there was really only data about this in like 2 states, and it was under 15 cases. Hardly the "epidemic" they're trying to make it out to be.

Another reason I cannot stand the media. Sensationalism at its finest. Likely just another calculated trojan horse by "Commie Medicare and Medicaid Services" to try and make the agent's life as difficult as possible.

Been saying it forever, but we really need to work to get some of our own people on the inside in this garbage 3-letter agency so that they can understand how insurance and agents really work, because they are absolutely f*cking clueless.

They should be much more worried about the immense fraud, waste, and abuse epidemic going on right now between crooked hospitals, medical facilities/labs, and doctors that are costing taxpayers multi-BILLIONS of dollars every single year.

Agents just trying to do their jobs and assist and help people should be the least of their concerns. But yet they consistently do everything in their power to take a billy club to our kneecaps.
Sorry buddy, your wrong. The amount of stolen aca apps is in the tens of thousands. I know one agent with 100 stolen alone. Most from call centers from Florida. And HAFA is making waves w cms and DOI's. You're just not tuned in to the right FB groups.

And yes? All you need is name, dob and state to steal an app.

Socials being crossed out is to prevent additional kinds of identity theft.

Back