Annunities....and Seniors ?

I'm not saying one has to be to the point of being a doctor about the situation. Because if it's not officially diagnosed and you had them sign a piece of paper then obviously you can't be held accountable for that. (that's why there's a date). .

How will you know if its "oficially diagnosed"?

We don't have access to medical records.

But if you have a better suggestion for agents to CTA. Please, inform us.

I would suggest that we can accept that we are not a medical professional and cannot diagnose all cognitive impairments out in the field after 1 or 2 meetings or on the phone. We should not accept that we can.

Beyond that many people with a cognitive impairment handle their own affairs, drive, etc., for many years before someone gets a POA.

Agents need legal protection of some sort for the people that fall into the "grey" area. No POA in place and agent was not told or aware they had a cognitive impairment. IMO.

Last edited:
How will you know if its "oficially diagnosed"?

We don't have access to medical records.

I would suggest that we can accept that we are not a medical professional and cannot diagnose all cognitive impairments out in the field after 1 or 2 meetings or on the phone. We should not accept that we can.

Beyond that many people with a cognitive impairment handle their own affairs, drive, etc., for many years before someone gets a POA.

Agents need legal protection of some sort for the people that fall into the "grey" area. No POA in place and agent was not told or aware they had a cognitive impairment. IMO.

Thanks, I appreciate your input on it. That's why I threw out the standard statement of understanding letter, it's about the only recourse I can think of for agents.

Ask Glenn about CYA letters. If you are using a form that isn't carrier or state required, the immediate assumption is you knew better but were just trying to CYA.

Interesting POV, appreciate the perspective.

Ask Glenn about CYA letters. If you are using a form that isn't carrier or state required, the immediate assumption is you knew better but were just trying to CYA.

....Meaning Glenn did the right thing and had the property documentation signed....but was charged anyway?

Not following you Vol?

....Meaning Glenn did the right thing and had the property documentation signed....but was charged anyway?

Not following you Vol?

Meaning, he added an additional form to what was required. The DA then used this against him. It was basically a CYA letter and the DA argued the only reason he did it was because he knew he was doing wrong and was trying to protect himself.

Making up your own forms is probably a bad idea. The carrier has attorneys draft theirs. This is someone who knows the law and what they are doing. Producers are amateurs at this and are just looking to get into trouble.

Meaning, he added an additional form to what was required. The DA then used this against him. It was basically a CYA letter and the DA argued the only reason he did it was because he knew he was doing wrong and was trying to protect himself.

Making up your own forms is probably a bad idea. The carrier has attorneys draft theirs. This is someone who knows the law and what they are doing. Producers are amateurs at this and are just looking to get into trouble.

Wow...so Glenn created a form that was used to CYA and it backfired on him?

Did he also have a correct disclosure signed too?

Back