• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Another school shooting

I think cops need more training and then times that by 100 for the teachers.

And therein lies the stupidity.

Of course your smarter than that. All you have done is have proven that you really want the bar set so high, 100 times higher than for cops, because you don't want teachers carrying guns. You have adopted the insane notion that wearing a uniform and a badge makes a difference when someone has the responsibility of carrying a gun in order to protect others.

Most gun haters will tell you they don't want to ban guns, they just want MORE restrictions. And they will keep calling for more and more restrictions no matter how many there are, until eventually it is impossible for anyone to actually have a gun.

Let's be clear. All school shooting end the same way. At some point, and it can take much too long, someone with a gun shows up to deal with the bad guy with the gun. The sooner someone with a gun gets to the bad guy with the gun, the quicker it is over and the fewer people who are dead and injured.

Question: What adults are always present at school when these shootings happen?

On a side note, training only creates the ability for a muscle memory response. NO ONE knows how a person will react when they are actually under fire, until they are under fire. Some people will be unable to respond and will run the other way. So rather than rely on one or two armed people to protect an entire school, it's better to have a dozen.

It's simple. Let teacher who want to do so, carry a gun in schools. Require a carry/conceal permit and training, preferably with the local police department. It would be good for the teachers who have guns to get to know their local police, and vice versa. That way, if there is an incident, people know who the good guys are.

And therein lies the stupidity.

Of course your smarter than that. All you have done is have proven that you really want the bar set so high, 100 times higher than for cops, because you don't want teachers carrying guns. You have adopted the insane notion that wearing a uniform and a badge makes a difference when someone has the responsibility of carrying a gun in order to protect others.

Most gun haters will tell you they don't want to ban guns, they just want MORE restrictions. And they will keep calling for more and more restrictions no matter how many there are, until eventually it is impossible for anyone to actually have a gun.

Let's be clear. All school shooting end the same way. At some point, and it can take much too long, someone with a gun shows up to deal with the bad guy with the gun. The sooner someone with a gun gets to the bad guy with the gun, the quicker it is over and the fewer people who are dead and injured.

Question: What adults are always present at school when these shootings happen?

On a side note, training only creates the ability for a muscle memory response. NO ONE knows how a person will react when they are actually under fire, until they are under fire. Some people will be unable to respond and will run the other way. So rather than rely on one or two armed people to protect an entire school, it's better to have a dozen.

It's simple. Let teacher who want to do so, carry a gun in schools. Require a carry/conceal permit and training, preferably with the local police department. It would be good for the teachers who have guns to get to know their local police, and vice versa. That way, if there is an incident, people know who the good guys are.

actually you are right that makes more sense. lower the standards. Most cops are straight shooters. I also went to school with a lot of teachers and most of them I know would be pretty good with a weapon. I hope the students don't find out which teacher has guns though, they might just wait until they are in class where the teacher doesn't have a weapon and whip it out. Maybe we could lower the age that responsible children could purchase weapons? They would be able to take out the threat the quickest.

I hope the students don't find out which teacher has guns though

I think this is critical.

Maybe we could lower the age that responsible children could purchase weapons? They would be able to take out the threat the quickest.

"responsible children" is a contradiction. I think the age to purchase a gun should probably be 21, and people should not be allowed to drive cars until they are 21. Think of the lives saved if we kept teenagers off the roads.

I think children should have the option of firearms training in school.

I think this is critical.

"responsible children" is a contradiction. I think the age to purchase a gun should probably be 21, and people should not be allowed to drive cars until they are 21. Think of the lives saved if we kept teenagers off the roads.

I think children should have the option of firearms training in school.

There are plenty of responsible children. Age doesn't make you responsible! You are saying we should stop responsible law abiding citizens from obtaining a way to protect themselves? What next? The US government coming into my house taking all my guns?

So you would be able to fight in war but not drive a car? That makes perfect sense. Beefing up driving tests would be too difficult to administer so we might as well knock it up to 21. More restrictions on driving but lowering the restrictions on guns will probably help overall because they are very connected in terms of reasons for use.

Yea, most children are very capable of wielding a weapon, they just don't know it. It would be very beneficial to spend 1st period learning the Pythagorean theorem then transition them into small arms training for 45 minutes a day. I assume they would use live rounds and shoot at targets that are similar size to their classmates just in case they need to hit a school shooter.

Yea, most children are very capable of wielding a weapon, they just don't know it. It would be very beneficial to spend 1st period learning the Pythagorean theorem then transition them into small arms training for 45 minutes a day. I assume they would use live rounds and shoot at targets that are similar size to their classmates just in case they need to hit a school shooter.

For those who have not shot a handgun:

I don't agree with putting a semi-auto in the hands of a first time shooter. DA .38 revolver at first. Maybe even a .22 for a child. Move up from there.

I remember taking my son to the range at 8 years old. Started with a .22 then moved up to a .357 magnum with .38 rounds. Once he got comfortable, I loaded up with +P. The look on his face was priceless.. instant respect.

I don't agree with putting a semi-auto in the hands of a first time shooter. DA .38 revolver at first. Maybe even a .22 for a child. Move up from there.

I remember taking my son to the range at 8 years old. Started with a .22 then moved up to a .357 magnum with .38 rounds. Once he got comfortable, I loaded up with +P. The look on his face was priceless.. instant respect.

When I first teach someone to shoot a handgun I have a .22 semi-automatic with iron sites. I use this model:

This has less kick than a .22 revolver.

NOTE: A semi will have less kick because the recoil that loads the next shell (slide coming back) takes a lot of kick out of the gun.

After they get used to shooting the .22, I move up to my Sig Arms P226 in 9mm like this one:

The Sig is heavy, and that combined with a heavy slide, gives you as little recoil as possible. I find a revolver, even a heavier .357 with a .38 load, still has quite a kick by comparison to the 9mm Sig. You also will get some blow out between the cylinder and barrel on a revolver, and that's kind of unpleasant until you get used to it. When my wife first learned to shoot, I let her try the revolver and she really disliked it. She took the carry concealed class with the Sig.

The big thing to watch when training on a semi-auto is to make sure the shooter keeps their second hand well below the slide that is coming back. That slide can leave quite a mark.

And finally, carrying a semi-auto, without a shell in the pipe is about as safe as you can make a loaded gun. You can't make it go bang until you cycle a bullet into the barrel. I personally think that's the best safety you can have. Also, most little kids would not be able to make the slide work but they can pull the trigger. No matter what you do with a revolver, if you keep pulling the trigger it will eventually go bang (and safeties aren't). I don't want the gun to go bang when that happens, unless its me and I want the gun to go bang. So first you pull the slide.

Back