Assigning Policy to Funeral Home

WGO

Expert
I just had a client ask me about assigning a policy to a funeral home and I have never done this before. Could someone help me with how this is done? Is there an actual form that is used and if so is it from the funeral home or the insurance company. Thanks.

I just had a client ask me about assigning a policy to a funeral home and I have never done this before. Could someone help me with how this is done? Is there an actual form that is used and if so is it from the funeral home or the insurance company. Thanks.

A couple of carriers have their own form. I know UHL is one. But most funeral homes have a generic form on file. Their funeral director can call the company to find out for sure since he/she has to be in on the paperwork.

If the policy is already in force, no problem, but a few carriers frown on doing this upon initial application.

They probably want an irrevocable assignment to exempt the CV from medicaid. If it is a new policy then there will be no CV for a while and they do not need to assign it yet.

It's also different state by state. Assigning the ownership and beneficiary irrevocably to the funeral home will be the same as setting up a funeral trust. It has no look back and is day one exempt from counting as a resource for Medicaid. The down side to that is that any amount not used on the funeral or cemetery will have to go to the estate and Medicaid will get anything that is in the estate.

If your client is not yet on Medicaid there is really no reason to assign it to a funeral home. People want to do that a lot because they think that would lock the price in like a prepaid funeral but that is wrong information. The price is only guaranteed if they buy a prepaid contract THROUGH the funeral home and not all funeral homes even sell a price guaranteed contract.

That is the situation in this case. The wife already blew through a small inheritance.

Back