Biz Canvas - Distinguishing Yourself?

TheTexasTrigger

Pretty self explanatory...I want to get suggestions to better distinguish myself on cold business canvassing.

Currently, I'll focus on a specific industry, create packets that i drop off to the business with info inside of nice folders with my company logo and business card insert. in each folder is 1. A personalized letter (addressed to owner name if I can find it) explaining what I do, and 2. Another sheet that asks "the five questions every business owner should be able to answer" - these are just alerts to owner that some of his plans may need changing.

I'll call beforehand to verify the address and ask who would be best to leave the packet with.

After, I drop it off and make every attempt to get a card, preferably the owner's, and let them know ill be following up in about a week.

Next, I follow up, try to make small talk, and ask, "what did you think of the concepts in the packet?"

Usually they have not read it (which is a problem) so I tell them "Oh ok, well I help business owners like you save on taxes, protect their business, and create a solid exit strategy for retirement. You may one to give the concepts some thought, or better yet, we can meet for a coffee and explore them together. What is your least busy time of the week?"

Any suggestions on improving the packets or my process? I think my weakest part personally is my drop off. I feel like its very non-memorable, I'm not setting myself apart from other cold callers and canvassers, except that I'm totally non-pushy or sales minded. Basically I just say, "are you the business owner/Mr. X?" If so I explain what's in the packet, if not I just leave it with whoever I was told to, take a card, and leave."

I have absolutely no idea if this is the best policy (stay out of their hair) or if I should be more assuming? It's that line between confidence and being imposing that is so hard to walk.

If it is working for you, keep doing it. To me, it seems like a lot of research and effort prematurely. Here is my simple system, also prospecting business owners:

1. Go to my library webpage, use the Reference USA database, and print off a list of owners/presidents with 1 to 20 employees in the town I want to work (have it exclude home based businesses).

2. Call the list and tell them I have no reason to believe they are in the market for what I do, however, I would like to stop by to make a quick introduction and leave behind a brochure. No research ahead of time. I have no intention of leaving behind a brochure (although I have a one pager with me), I just find it disarms them. One in five will say yes to me stopping by. If I talk to 20 in a morning (about two hours of calls), I will have about four to go see. Some days more, some days less. Virtually all introductions are set for the same afternoon. I also try to get email addresses from those who say no to an introduction, but are conversational.

3. When I show up, I tell them all I want to do is as quickly as possible, find out if I can be a resource for them, either now or later. I pull out my one pager that shows the type of work I do (death, disablity, and retirement), then start asking some questions and try to find a reason to get back together. About 1 in 3 approaches seen results in a case opened. Of the other 2 of 3, usually one gets dead filed and the other things are left open ended, but no interest in talking further at this point.

4. Of those I keep in contact with, but do not result in an immediate case, I file them for a six month return call and add them to my newsletter list so they are more apt to know my name and what I do the next time I call. Also, send them a quick note the next day and try to make it more likely they will remember my name.

Besides filing their card back 6 months, I put them in a spreadsheet where I can quickly pull a city I am visiting that day and see the these contacts listed. I check the notes from the previous conversation and put together a simple idea to "drop in" with that day.

For example, in the area I am working tomorrow, I have six people I met some time ago that I will drop in on as time allows. One does not have LTCi, but mentioned he should probably have it. I printed off and article on paying for LTC and will drop in with it. If I see him, great, maybe I can get something going. If not, I'll leave it behind with a note and check back the next time I am out that way. I just use this as a filler between meetings to try and get something going. It's purposely done in a very relaxed way. My favorite opener, "I have something I would like to get your opinion on. If you have time now, great, if not, I can always stop back another time."

I wish I could say I have the disapline of monk, but I do not. However, I strive to hit 20 decision maker contacts each day and be seeing or fighting to see people between 8:30am and 2pm each day. My days go longer than 2pm, but between those hours I try my best to stay on task with advancing toward a sale.

Others may have a more effective routine, but that is what I am doing currently with the intention of selling life insurance. However, I will sell them whatever they want if it helps me bring on a new client. The long term money is having a lot of clients you keep in contact with and getting repeat sales and referrals. A lesson I learned later than I wish I would have.

Last edited:
I love your routine Full Throttle. It definitely woke me up and reminded me what I should do tomorrow.
What CRM do you use? I use salesgenie and look for business owners to selling life, ltci, retirement, exit strategy like Texas. However, I have not found a good CRM where I can dump the whole chunk of raw lead onto it and dial; and not messed with my regular client data base. When you mean you hit 20 decision maker contacts each day, do you mean seeing them face to face or talk to them on the phone?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I love your routine Full Throttle. It definitely woke me up and reminded me what I should do tomorrow.
What CRM do you use? I use salesgenie and look for business owners to selling life, ltci, retirement, exit strategy like Texas. However, I have not found a good CRM where I can dump the whole chunk of raw lead onto it and dial; and not messed with my regular client data base. When you mean you hit 20 decision maker contacts each day, do you mean seeing them face to face or talk to them on the phone?

Thanks.

20 contacts = phone contacts

CRM = I have one, but haven't updated it in 6+ months. I really hate using the computer at the office. It may kick me later, but I just use recipe cards for prospects, Excel spreadsheet for clients. The less time on the computer, the happier I am and the more productive. The lists I just print out and start dialing.

Well, I admire your passion and persistence and planning at this. Seems like a lot of work, which is why I would not do it myself since I am not patient.

Back