Can I Still Get an Angent License W/ a Tax Lien on Public Record?

ndls78

I passed my health/accident exam and when I applied for I notice there was a question about if you have ever failed to pay state income tax or comply with any administrative or court order directing the payment of state income tax. I asked my spouse about this question since I remembered something in the mail coming in from the IRS showing a 0 balance on back taxes and he told me no. I answered the question as "no" and then thought some more later about the question since he mentioned a tax issue recently. After pulling a credit report I completely forgot about a tax lien that was filed against both of us because the tax payments went deliquent. It has been paid off , but will this prevent me from obtaining my agent license?

Re: Can I Still Get an Angent License W/ a Tax Lien on Public Rec

This might vary by state, but if it's paid off, it is unlikely to stop you from being licensed. Even if it wasn't paid, it probably wouldn't stop you from being licensed (providing it wasn't signficant).

You just have to explain situations like this. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Dan

After getting licensed, however, it may be difficult to get appointed with carriers with that tax lien.

Probably not a big issue if it is paid. Unpaid, it might cause some problems.

Dan

Thank you for the responses. I'm feeling a lot better knowing that it shouldn't be a problem getting the license.

I just passed the exam for accident/health to work in a call center assisting customers who want to enroll into medicare supplemental insurance. I was worried that my credit history would prevent me from getting the job permanently, but since I'm not handling anyone's money then I should be fine.

I'll update back here when I find out when my license is approve or denied. Thanks again!

There is more to it than just handling peoples money. In many cases, you are handling their livelihood, something I consider more important.

Credit is a big issue when you deal with Property and Casualty insurance, especially if you have binding authority. With Med Sups, it's not the same issue, but you are still dealing with peoples money, you need to show how it is being paid for. You also deal with peoples personal information, so it still requires a high degree of personal integrity.

Most people have had some problems somewhere. If you have taken care of them then its usually not a big issue. If you have ignored them, then it becomes a problem.

Dan

This situation arose several years ago with a carrier. I've owed irs, state gov. all my life, would'nt have it any other way. Came up with a generic explanation, haven't had a problem with it since. t hall

I passed my health/accident exam and when I applied for I notice there was a question about if you have ever failed to pay state income tax or comply with any administrative or court order directing the payment of state income tax. I asked my spouse about this question since I remembered something in the mail coming in from the IRS showing a 0 balance on back taxes and he told me no. I answered the question as "no" and then thought some more later about the question since he mentioned a tax issue recently. After pulling a credit report I completely forgot about a tax lien that was filed against both of us because the tax payments went deliquent. It has been paid off , but will this prevent me from obtaining my agent license?

They will work with you if you have installment agreements. It may change depending on the state and carrier but it has worked for me.

This situation arose several years ago with a carrier. I've owed irs, state gov. all my life, would'nt have it any other way. Came up with a generic explanation, haven't had a problem with it since. t hall

Was wondering what kinda explanation did you come up with ?

Back