COBRA Question

They can pay for cobra, but most likely, that will do them no good. I'm sure there is no network in China, and most health insurance only cover emergencies, out of network re-imburstment.
I would look into travel insurance, or short-term.

Go after the group. There may be a weakness depending on what the current agent has presented. Many employees will choose a HDHP if they understand it and the employer makes equivalent contributions to all plans.

Keeping the COBRA is a necessity only for the spouse that is staying in US. COBRA will expire by the time they get back. So you are paying for nothing. COBRA coverage will not cover treatment in China.

I have covered many companies with employees in Shanghai. Injury or Illness will be covered by China's National health care system even if you are a non-citizen. A flight back to US is not covered and an International policy is recommended to cover the followup care.

International policies will be priced similar to short term medical policies and have similar pre-existing exclusions. This must also be considered.

This couple have a lot to consider, especially with any health concerns. Remember the US bound Spouse can still continue the COBRA without the One in CHINA. Just need to to the proper paperwork with the former employer.

Check this company out for International MED. Used them often and they are nice if you have a group going. They customize many of my entertainment company clients with groups of 10+ going to most countries. China included. Travel Insurance, Travel Health Insurance, International Travel Insurance

Thanks for all the responses.

BCBS-IL has issued a determination letter to the couple's attorney. COBRA will continue and it appears there are network providers where they are headed.

COBRA will expire 7/1/13, at which time the local plan's pre-ex will be satisfied.

We looked at travel plans through Peterson and other vendors but pre-ex applies on everything, as expected.

Good and valid points made concerning whether or not COBRA coverage will work as BCBSIL states and also that they will lack creditable coverage upon return to the U.S. after 2 years. We'll see what happens.

Again, thank you to all that responded.

Back