Desk or On the Road ?

Todd Preston

Expert
Hi Friends,

I was wondering "how many PC guys spend most of their time behind the desk, VS. getting out and selling on the Road?"

I've seen many who just sit behind the desk and wait for the phone to ring and sell auto n home owners.

It would seem to me that the bigger com. are out meeting Biz Owners and selling face to face (or at least trying to get past the gate-keeper) and selling face to face.

• Do certain companies only want you behind the desk?
  • Which companies offer the best ops for selling on the road?
  • Which do you prefer and why?

thanks for your input...

Hi Friends,

I was wondering "how many PC guys spend most of their time behind the desk, VS. getting out and selling on the Road?"

I've seen many who just sit behind the desk and wait for the phone to ring and sell auto n home owners.

It would seem to me that the bigger com. are out meeting Biz Owners and selling face to face (or at least trying to get past the gate-keeper) and selling face to face.

• Do certain companies only want you behind the desk?
  • Which companies offer the best ops for selling on the road?
  • Which do you prefer and why?

thanks for your input...

I do a bit of both. I'd like to be out and on the road, but at certain times of the year, it's impossible for me to see the majority of our customers and prospects (spring and fall) due to farming. While it's nice to think that I can go and park at the end of the field and stop the tractor or combine, I know better, and would get an earful for trying that!

Winter is my best time to get out, guys are in their shops working on equipment, or are usually around at least. Summer is tough because they are typically spraying.

Besides that, sitting in the office is pretty useless besides reviewing farm renewals and doing crop insurance stuff. Very rarely do we have new prospects call us out of the blue for a quote - we aren't in the typical geographical area that most are on this site - not a big city, or hardly a city at all, by any means.

Why compromise?

Products by AutoExec - AutoExec, Inc. | Providing solutions for road warriors

5.jpg

Hi Friends, I was wondering "how many PC guys spend most of their time behind the desk, VS. getting out and selling on the Road?" I've seen many who just sit behind the desk and wait for the phone to ring and sell auto n home owners. It would seem to me that the bigger com. are out meeting Biz Owners and selling face to face (or at least trying to get past the gate-keeper) and selling face to face. [*]Do certain companies only want you behind the desk? [*]Which companies offer the best ops for selling on the road? [*]Which do you prefer and why? thanks for your input...

Todd,

I operate a commercial insurance lead database, which allows me to monitor activity and usage of agents. I notice a majority of our members hitting the phones heavily at least 3 days a week, usually from their office (I know this based on IP address) with sporadic usage/logins from a tablet or mobile device. My guess is that this usage is while they're out on appointments and want to reference another business in their current vicinity, just speculating though.

In short, I think commercial agents spend more time than personal lines agents out in the field, but not all their time. Especially true for agents who are still building their book. Hitting the road is a good tactic, but compared to the volume of contacts you can make with your phone, it's just not as efficient.

You can also factor in the fact that commercial policies usually require some sort of face to face meeting for both parties to feel each other out (determine opportunity) and discuss coverage matters. With Personal lines the buyer usually doesn't want or need to take time to meet with the agent.

I can't really comment on your other questions but hope you find this info a useful reference.

Latest posts

Back