Determining my Worth

Peety

As a laid-off 54 year old corporate attorney, I decided to change careers and joined an independent agency as a producer under contract. The office location is new and the owner is not nearly as well-connected as i am, especially with the country club crowd (business owners). Within a month I had my license and was qualified for PC and L. I have some good business cooking... But we still need to negotiate contract terms. Straight commission is what I want, I like the freedom and can manage financially. I am currently the only active producer, others have all flamed out. But I am different, already making good progress, and as such am in good position to negotiate a good contract.

He suggested 65 but I told him I think that's low. I am thinking 80 percent to start for new business then maybe down to 70 after the first year. He wants a noncompete and I think that's worth a lot under the circumstances. He appreciates my good potential to build his business here, and is treating me very well, with nice office space etc. But we need to pin down the money. Thoughts?

Sounds like to being brand new your already getting the hang of things, as well as your pipe-line is building. I'd try to figure out what is average in your area and maybe determine of that. You can always go lower but never higher. Start at 80, work from there.

I don't think a principal of an independent agency would take it offensive at all. Just talk to him!

On the life side, the commission levels on life contracts are going to pay in the neighborhood of 90-100% for 20 year terms, a little less for shorter terms, and 80-95% on permanent insurance sales.

What exactly is this agency giving you?
If you are going to do a non-compete with them, I would only agree for clients that agency is referring to you....if you are bringing them to the table, tell them no.

Back