DNC Compliant, SANS #

spyguy779

Expert
I am a FL independent agent with a 240. I'm trying to figure out if I'm exempt from registering for a SANS#. According to Fla. Stat. § 501.604, an insurance agent is exempt from having to adhere to the DNC list. It does not clarify if that is ONLY in the state of Florida or if that also carries across state lines. Anyone have any knowledge on this?

Under the exceptions this is what is says:

(8) Any licensed insurance broker, agent, customer representative, or solicitor when soliciting within the scope of his or her license. As used in this section, “licensed insurance broker, agent, customer representative, or solicitor” means any insurance broker, agent, customer representative, or solicitor licensed by an official or agency of this state or of any state of the United States.

Last edited:
News to me. To my (limited) knowledge, no insurance agent is exempt from the DNC....not counting the normal exceptions of already having a relationship, following up on a lead, etc.

There are two DNC lists in many states. There is a federal one that no insurance agents are exempt from. And in some states (Florida and Indiana being two of them) where insurance agents ARE exempt. But you are only exempt from the people that are on the state DNC list only. If they are on the federal list OR the both lists, you can not call them.

Yes sir and have worked both captive and independent. I would think if this was true, folks at Allstate, State Farm, and others, would know this. They all scrub against the DNC at all times.
Better to be safe than sorry.

If you're exempt from the state, that's great, but there is nothing that exempts you from the federal.

Yes, after taking a closer look, agents are exempt from registering for a SANS but must adhere to federal DNC lists and are only exempt from certain state DNC lists, does that make sense?

Yes, after taking a closer look, agents are exempt from registering for a SANS but must adhere to federal DNC lists and are only exempt from certain state DNC lists, does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense.

The state has their own list so they can set their own rules about that list.

That said, registering for a SAN is free.

Yes sir and have worked both captive and independent. I would think if this was true, folks at Allstate, State Farm, and others, would know this. They all scrub against the DNC at all times.
Better to be safe than sorry.

Most people register with the Federal one.

Back