Do I need Medicare Part D if I have supplement insurance?

Jackson99

Hi, I am not very good with technology because of my age, I just wanted to ask if the medical supplement programs provide coverage for prescription drugs. I am old and frequently require drugs for my treatment.

Good question, and welcome.

No, med supp plans do not offer Rx coverage unless they are grandfathered plans purchased prior to January 2006.

So unless you have a Time Machine, no ;).

That being said, you can get a Medicare supplement plan along with a stand-alone Medicare Part D prescription drug plan.

Alternatively, there are Medicare Advantage plans that offer drug coverage, but for most people, med supp + a part d plan is a better bet.

Hope this is helpful and I am brand new to this so people can correct me if anything I said was wrong…

Good question, and welcome.

No, med supp plans do not offer Rx coverage unless they are grandfathered plans purchased prior to January 2006.

So unless you have a Time Machine, no ;).

That being said, you can get a Medicare supplement plan along with a stand-alone Medicare Part D prescription drug plan.

Alternatively, there are Medicare Advantage plans that offer drug coverage, but for most people, med supp + a part d plan is a better bet.

Hope this is helpful and I am brand new to this so people can correct me if anything I said was wrong…
Even the old plans prior to January 2006 did not have creditable drug coverage. You still need to buy a Part D drug plan even if you have those old plans.

Medicare supplement insurance coverage, aka Medigap, is an additional insurance plan that helps fill the ‘gaps’ in your original Medicare plan (Part A and B). Since the original Medicare plan covers most but not all the areas, private companies offer Medicare supplemental insurance coverage plans that help pay the costs of deductibles, coinsurance, and copayments.

However, Medicare supplemental insurance coverage excludes Medicare part D, meaning you’ll be required to enroll in a separate Drug prescription plan (Part D). But you might be in luck. If you bought a Medigap policy before January 1st, 2006, that would work for you too.

If you don’t, you’ll be required to pay two separate premium payments if you buy Medigap and Medicare part D plans.

Medicare Part D is voluntary. Not required.
There's a discussion there about the wisest course of action for a Medicare Beneficiary. :laugh:

Not all will buy into the approach you have taken.

Back