GI for medicare supplement trial period in Fl

policywunk

Guru
Other than UHC is there any other carrier in Fl that will give GI for 12 month trial period for first time ma enrollees who do not want to go back to original medicare supplement carrier ? This would be for a plan G they currently have high deductible F.

Other than UHC is there any other carrier in Fl that will give GI for 12 month trial period for first time ma enrollees who do not want to go back to original medicare supplement carrier ? This would be for a plan G they currently have high deductible F.

Caveat, I am not an agent.

Your post is confusing to me because it is asking about switching from MA to Medigap, but the post seems to suggest the client now has a Medigap plan?

I don't think your post has sufficient information for someone to give you the precise answer you expect.

1) Are you looking only for carriers that will pay you commission?

2) What is your situational definition of first time MA enrollee?

2a) T65 who went directly to MA for very first Medicare enrollment?
If that answer is yes and you don't care about commission, any carrier should be obliged to offer a product. They may not pay you a commission and they may not offer a price you consider reasonable, but they should be required to offer the product.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - 69O-156.0095 : Guaranteed Issue for Eligible Persons - Florida Administrative Rules, Law, Code, Register - FAC, FAR, eRulemaking
Download and read this document:
Final
69O-156.0095

2b) If you are talking about someone who went into Medicare after their T65 IEP and took an MA plan without first having a Medigap plan, I think you are looking for carriers that offer exceptions and you should pose the question here in that frame of reference.

2c) If you are talking about someone who enrolled in Medigap when they first became eligible for Medicare and then switched to an MA plan, having never had an MA plan before, I think any carrier is required to offer them a Medigap plan.
See same document referenced above and my comment is made with the same possible commission and premium issues I mentioned above.

3) For products,see (5) (c) in the linked document, but if the person has already come off the MA product and gone to an HDF Medigap plan, it seems like they might have already used their GI option.

or for Medigap-MA-Medigap
I think this is the applicable rule:

(b)1. Subject to subparagraph 2., paragraph 69O-156.0095(2)(e), F.A.C., is the same Medicare supplement policy in which the individual was most recently previously enrolled, if available from the same issuer, or, if not so available, a policy described in paragraph (5)(a);

This suggests the issue would be the Original Plan rather than the Original Carrier.

If the original plan is still being offered, it looks to me like the Medicare Beneficiary would be restricted to that plan. Different than the T65 switch rules.

Edit
Also note the rule does not say the carrier has to restore the original premium, just the original plan.
End Edit.

Last edited:
or for Medigap-MA-Medigap
I think this is the applicable rule:

(b)1. Subject to subparagraph 2., paragraph 69O-156.0095(2)(e), F.A.C., is the same Medicare supplement policy in which the individual was most recently previously enrolled, if available from the same issuer, or, if not so available, a policy described in paragraph (5)(a);

This suggests the issue would be the Original Plan rather than the Original Carrier.

If the original plan is still being offered, it looks to me like the Medicare Beneficiary would be restricted to that plan. Different than the T65 switch rules.

Edit
Also note the rule does not say the carrier has to restore the original premium, just the original plan.
End Edit.

asking about someone who currently has hi ded f with UA who is considering switching to ma for first time and wants to know if they decide to switch back to med supp within 12 month which carrier in florida would give them the gi for plan g other than UHC ? my understanding is that UHC doesn't have to do this by law if there previous med sup is still available but they will.any other carriers in florida that will?

asking about someone who currently has hi ded f with UA who is considering switching to ma for first time and wants to know if they decide to switch back to med supp within 12 month which carrier in florida would give them the gi for plan g other than UHC ? my understanding is that UHC doesn't have to do this by law if there previous med sup is still available but they will.any other carriers in florida that will?
Ok, I see now.

And I agree with your comment on the law based on the word document I referenced. I would extend that to say that none of the carriers would have to do it by law as long as the UA HDF plan is still available.

Whether there are any carriers that would go beyond the law and offer a gi Medigap plan in that situation is beyond my knowledge base.

Back