How do I found out if my disabled mother (in a nursing home) has life insurance?

Thersa Thorpe

My mother is in a nursing home, she gave power of attorney to my brother who took everything she had. He sold her home and got rid of all the contents of the home. Including all of her information: Social Security card, any files she had for bills, all of her insurance information, She believes she has some life insurance somewhere but, she cannot remember how much or whom she has a policy with. (She feels like there may be two different policies). How do I find out if and where she has life insurance and through what company if she does? My brother has stopped speaking to her and he has no information about her personal business. I live in Kentucky however, my mother is in Indiana. I am now her power of attorney.

If you have POA, look at her bank statements and see if a carrier is auto-drafting. That's how many people pay their premiums. Be sure to look back for at least a year because the draft "mode" could be monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, or annual.

Once you have the carrier, you can reach out to them and see if the policy is still in force and get all of the details. They're going to require POA docs and verification that you have the authority to act on your mother's behalf.

Good luck and sorry to hear about what your brother did.

You don't need to know the insurance company, just the bank.

I would literally just start with the big banks and just see if you get lucky. There is no really easy way to do this, unfortunately.

How is she/you paying for the nursing facility? Is she on medicaid?

If what you say is true about your brother, he had better be able to show receipts for the bills he paid for Mom. After that I hope he puts some of the money away for after he gets out of jail for selling the home and keeping the money

Back