Killing Your Industry

The general public doesn't know the difference between Bankers Life or Northwestern Mutual. It's all the same to them.

Newby, I agree with you. Kinda/sorta an A+ rating vs an A rating. The consumer doesn't really know the difference or care.

I should have specified that I was referencing that the article made Bankers look not so good, not the whole industry.

When you already have a public that is misinformed, unsure and hesitant about buying your product, articles like this can have a negative impact on your selling of a product. I read several articles on LTC and many of the average and no so average people don't trust LTC insurers. People don't have confidence in the product. I bet you if they did, more people would have policies and you who sell this stuff would not have to work as hard as you do to make the sale.

This is from an average person's point of view that doesn't sell insurance. There are several more articles that are written that make LTC look bad and unnecessary than there are that tout its benefits. People ,in my humble opinion, look at the industry and not just Bankers because the perception of the industry trying to get out from paying claims is what is usually put out there for the public.

After reading this article, I am sure that this does nothing to help you sell longterm care insurance. It's got to be an uphill battle when potential customers are determining to buy or not.

Look at this article from today.

Bankers Life hit with Oregon class-action lawsuit over long-term care insurance | OregonLive.com

I really don't worry about the people that do not wish to buy coverage. My wife and I have coverage. We will not burden our children. Everyone else is free to make their own choices. As an insurance adviser, I am happy to work with clients that wish to BUY coverage. I can't worry about the people who don't. And I do not wish to waste my time with the fence-sitters or the cynics.

Last edited:
"I really don't worry about the people that do not wish to buy coverage. My wife and I have coverage. We will not burden our children. Everyone else is free to make their own choices. As an insurance adviser, I am happy to work with clients that wish to buy coverage. I can't worry about the people who don't. And I do not wish to waste my time with the fence-sitters or the cynics."
-------
Exactly. People that will not buy LTCI will use any excuse they can, but it's kind of funny...I seldom hear anything this derogatory about the industry from people I talk to. I guess they have done their homework first, and realize there are bad apples in anything, even LTCI agents :D

Of course I'm not referring to anyone on this forum.:no:

I really don't worry about the people that do not wish to buy coverage. My wife and I have coverage. We will not burden our children. Everyone else is free to make their own choices. As an insurance adviser, I am happy to work with clients that wish to BUY coverage. I can't worry about the people who don't. And I do not wish to waste my time with the fence-sitters or the cynics.

Wish there was a "like" button for this one.....

Back