Limited Benefit Plans

Hello all,

I just found the following link that says,

"The Affordable Care Act will end limited-benefit health insurance plans, sometimes called “mini-med” plans, in 2014"

http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2010pres/12/20101209c.html

I understand those plans will not be approved for exchanges, or buying them will not allow someone to avoid IRS penalties, however, I did not realize, they will disappear from all markets.

Is that true?

Monti
Long Term Care Insurance Leads

Last edited:
In 8 months, every plan sold that isn't an ObamaCare-Certified Q.H.P. WILL BE A LIMITED BENEFIT plan.

The quote that you reference in the 2010 HHS News Release is NOT substantiated by any of the laws or regulations promulgated by HHS, or other national government entities, since that 2010 press release.

Some news outlets have regurgitated what HHS stated back in 2010, but no one has been able to find an actual government rule that outlaws Non-Qualified Health Plan insurance policies being sold after 12/31/2013.

If anyone can find such a rule, it would be a bombshell!
-ac

As long as it covers preventative stuff its good to go....no surgery benefit 100 bucks a day hospital benefit ...It a new kind of plan called "Skinny Plans" they say they meet the ACA guidelines. Certain employers are buying them to avoid the $2000 per employee fine.

Back