Midterm WC Change

What are some problems you will run into when you change an insured's WC coverage midterm?

They're all subject to audit so no problems with short rate penalties unless you are with a state fund (nysif).

If their mod coincides with the renewal date it may make a small difference. I think carriers are supposed to split payrolls but they never do.

You may also want to see if there was a state base rate change for that specific class. Sometimes it can benefit them sometimes it can hurt them. I rewrote one once a week before the state increased the base rate by 20%. I locked in the lower rate for a year whereas his renewal had the 20% increase on it.

So if their ARD changes, they lose their Experience MOD discount?

If someone has a mod factor of .60 and you change them mid term, does this mean they start all over?

No, they do not start all over. What will happen is the mod will change on the anniversary rating date. If you move them mid term this means that their mod is going to change mid term of their new policy.

If they are not large enough for experience rating, this is a moot point. However, if they do have a mod, I would suggest making sure the person you are dealing with understands that the date on which their mod is generated is going to change as a result of the mid term move and it will take some time for everything to cycle out.

what about claims? Will there be any problems with claims?

Worker comp isnt my strong point and i have no idea how MOD ratings are calculated.

I have a 22 staff, 500k payroll and their mod factor is .84 they move midterm a once in the past 7 years.

it was april to april then they moved it to july yo july.

If you were competitive without the mod factor, would you switch them or wait till the anniversary date?

there wouldn't be any problems with claims.

Get their current mod worksheet and look at how the mod is generated. You will notice that the most recent year's data is not included. It won't be included till next year and then affects the mod for three years till it falls off. It is a four year revolving cycle with the mod development.

For example.... the data included for the current year's mod will not include last year(2014-2015), but will include the three years prior to that(2013-2014, 2012-2013 & 2011-2012). Too much to get into here.

How large is total account? What portion of the premium is the Comp?

Back