New One for Me...okay Gurus, what is the Answer...

TN_agent

Guru
100+ Post Club
Registered Native American who possibly has VA benefits (not sure). :err:

61 years old. Has tribal income and wife works so income is over FPL.

Will VA benefits trump Native American status (creditable coverage so no subsidy).

OR can they enroll on-exchange with subsidy? (the sweet subsidy where everything is free).

First off, I don't have this answer, that is for sure. But, isn't the Marketplace built in such a way that it has questions to guide down the path to the answer?

isn't the Marketplace built in such a way that it has questions to guide down the path to the answer?

Absolutely.

The answer to TN's question follows the answer on "How to keep your doctor" and "How to keep your plan"

And don't forget the most important question

"Is this client worth TN_agent's time to fill out an app?". If full subsidy with AI plan code, yes. The will get mega benefits for little to no money (AI subsidies work on bronze plans).If no subsidy, no, because this client won't buy. Not even sure if they get the year round SEP if they have other creditable coverage.

Re: unsure about VA coverage. My client didn't know he was enrolled at the VA when we did his HC.gov app. The eligibility notice generated with the app picked it up. The "unresolved inconsistency" that needed to be fixed within 90 days was to provide proof he wasn't enrolled in VA coverage. He checked and found out he was. No tax credit eligibility. He was happy to avoid the penalty, and not have to pay a premium.
HC.gov says Native Americans who qualify income wise can get subsidized coverage if they are eligible for tax credits. VA covered vets don't qualify according to the info at HC.gov. That doesn't mean he should be denied the opportunity to do a Marketplace application.

We did the app last Monday. I am a softie, I talk tough like I won't give people the time of day, but they came to my office so I helped them. The guy was not VA eligible after all, so eligible for subsidies.

Back