Opinions on this Medicare Supplement Plan

gopherman23

My father is 61 and disabled. He has Schizophrenia, COPD, and a few other health issues. He is eligible for Medicare in June, after being on disability for 2 years. After educating myself on Medigap vs. Medicare Advantage I decided a suppliment would be better for his situation. It is a bit spendy though. The plan itself is $250 on top of $105 for medicare and $32 for part D. So for everything it is about $387 a month.

Minnesota does supplemental a little different and offers some select plans. After shopping around with all the different companies I decided on a plan called Senior Gold through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota. After choosing all of the optional riders, they take care of both the Part A and Part B deductible. No copayments for anything. Since he has COPD I also wanted to make sure oxygen was covered 100%, if he needs it in the future, and it is. The plan is also guaranteed renewable every year. It is a bit spendy though, so I want to know if I made the right decision.

I tried posting a link to the plan, but since I have under 20 posts I am unable to. The plan name is Senior Gold through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota and it's easy to find via google. Any feedback is apprecited.

Thanks for reading

My father is 61 and disabled. He has Schizophrenia, COPD, and a few other health issues. He is eligible for Medicare in June, after being on disability for 2 years. After educating myself on Medigap vs. Medicare Advantage I decided a suppliment would be better for his situation. It is a bit spendy though. The plan itself is $250 on top of $105 for medicare and $32 for part D. So for everything it is about $387 a month.

Minnesota does supplemental a little different and offers some select plans. After shopping around with all the different companies I decided on a plan called Senior Gold through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota. After choosing all of the optional riders, they take care of both the Part A and Part B deductible. No copayments for anything. Since he has COPD I also wanted to make sure oxygen was covered 100%, if he needs it in the future, and it is. The plan is also guaranteed renewable every year. It is a bit spendy though, so I want to know if I made the right decision.

I tried posting a link to the plan, but since I have under 20 posts I am unable to. The plan name is Senior Gold through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota and it's easy to find via google. Any feedback is apprecited.

Thanks for reading

Definitely go with Plan F. He's Guaranteed Issue now. After November he'll have to be underwritten and I don't think he'll have much luck switching. That's a good price for a male on a Disability Medicare Supplement. If he does go on oxygen it'll be expensive. Better get the best plan you can, while you can as long as he can afford it.

----------

Thanks for reading

Definitely go with Plan F. He's Guaranteed Issue now. After November he'll have to be underwritten and I don't think he'll have much luck switching. That's a good price for a male on a Disability Medicare Supplement. If he does go on oxygen it'll be expensive. Better get the best plan you can, while you can as long as he can afford it.

He'll have another 6 month window of Guaranteed Issue when he turns 65.

Any of of the plans would cover oxygen, not just F. It's durable medical equipment. I agree a supp would be the best for him IMO.

----------

He'll have another 6 month window of Guaranteed Issue when he turns 65.

from what he is saying does not sound like Minnesota has plan F sounds like Wisconsin

There is no such thing as "Plan F" in Minnesota. This state does not have standardized plans.

So the comment to "definitely go with Plan F" is completely wrong.

Rick

Any of of the plans would cover oxygen, not just F. It's durable medical equipment. I agree a supp would be the best for him IMO.

I wasn't insinuating that Plan F was the only one that would cover oxygen.

----------

from what he is saying does not sound like Minnesota has plan F sounds like Wisconsin

You're correct Vic. I looked at the "Senior Gold plan before I posted. Technically it's not a Plan F. It's a beefed up Plan F.

I stand corrected.

I wasn't insinuating that Plan F was the only one that would cover oxygen.

----------

You're correct Vic. I looked at the "Senior Gold plan before I posted. Technically it's not a Plan F. It's a beefed up Plan F.

I stand corrected.

In WI, MN, and MA there is base plus riders that cover the deductible and copays. No A-N, the base plus all riders is basically plan F, take away the part B deductible rider and you have plan G.

Back