Pay Back Salary if You Quit?

W

wisenow

Brown & Brown insurnace offers a 2 year training program. Someone told me if you quit before that time you are required to pay back all of the salary you have earned.
Does anyone have information regarding this subject?
Thanks!

Brown & Brown insurnace offers a 2 year training program. Someone told me if you quit before that time you are required to pay back all of the salary you have earned.
Thanks!

To get the a definitive answer to your question I suggest you ask Brown & Brown. There may be specific conditions that have applied to one agent that may not apply to another agent.

Before I made a decision I would want an answer from them in writing. That could be devastating.

Possibly part if not all of your 'salary' is actually a draw against commissions. Not unusual in the world of sales. True sales jobs are commission/production based and carry personal risk.

If I don't sell something, I don't make money. Actually, if I don't sell something it costs me money due to marketing costs and the overhead of running a business. ...and that is why most people work for someone else who is taking the risk.

Thanks!

I don't know about Brown & Brown but that sounds fair to me. IF you are saying you are collecting a salary while they train you and YOU choose to leave (maybe a better job offer) before you have earned that salary back for them with production?

This just sounds fair to me. Agents who can't accept terms like that are the reason many companies won't pay a training pay at all.

Don't get me wrong, many companies and agencies take advantage of newbies. But there are also a LOT of greedy and lazy people who want to be paid with no committment and who know going in they will never put out a true effort.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I believe the training pay for the 2 year period must be earned back by commissions or forfeited if nothing is earned. Just curious if most newbies realized this or if this was the case with most companies.

Sounds fair to me too. Both of my neices are RN's and a common program is for hospitals to pick up your school expenses if you promise to stay with them "X" number of years. Quit before the term? Pay all the money back.

When I started at NYL we had a week and a half of straight training from 9-5 everyday. You where allowed to sell if your contract was in good standing, but its kind of hard to go out and sell when your in class 8 hours a day. So it was a bit of a vetting process along with education. We had no salary, only training allowance that we received based on production. Even still the filtering process should have been greater. I think the industry needs more of a filtering process with agents.... or more of an education process, which would probably filter out a lot of the rift raft...

Paying back training salary would only be fair.

Back