Rate Shock

rugerred

Guru
100+ Post Club
Did an off exchange quote me and wife, late 40's decent location, non smoking, and I used 60k for income. 3 carriers not a plan under $900. Ouch. The Kaiser calc says 5k a year at 8.5 %, well I can't find one in that price range. This going to hurt.

Did an off exchange quote me and wife, late 40's decent location, non smoking, and I used 60k for income. 3 carriers not a plan under $900. Ouch. The Kaiser calc says 5k a year at 8.5 %, well I can't find one in that price range. This going to hurt.

Did you try to quote on exchange? You may be able to get a subsidy at that income. Not sure what state you are in, but with that info for Indiana, rates are in the 600s. Look at valuepenguin.com

Cant get on the exchange. I am in wi and that wage is about 395% poverty. It is going to be ugly.

----------

Someone correct me please, I think I talked myself out of the right answer. In the above scenario wouldn't it qualify for a subsidy because it is over 9.5% of income.?

Yes. Just go to the exchange or valuepenguin and check on the subsidy amount. Be careful though, because if you end up OVER 400% FPL by the end of 2014 you would no longer be eligible and possibly have to pay a portion of it back.

Yes. Just go to the exchange or valuepenguin and check on the subsidy amount. Be careful though, because if you end up OVER 400% FPL by the end of 2014 you would no longer be eligible and possibly have to pay a portion of it back.

Thanks I just have too much crap swimming in my head. I just want to be right when quoting.

Last edited:
Back