• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Real Estate Exchange 1031?

materics22

I would like to know if I am qualify with 1031 exchange or do I need to do 1031 if I sell my house and buy a 2 family house with those money? my situation is I and my wife bought a four family house with my wife's sister and her husband in New York. i and my wife have 50% of the house and they have 50% of the house. we bought the house for $310k 18 year ago and now it can be sell for 1.30 million. if we sell the house, I and my wife will buy a 2 family house without her sister and her husband and they will buy their own house. any advise is appreciated.

You'll need better advice than you can get here, with that kind of money in play you want an attorney.

Saying that, while I'm not an expert, I have done a few of these things. You can exchange for "like kind property" which is pretty vague. I'm not positive of the rules here, or that I understand your question, but if you are selling an investment property (4 family house) than you can buy other similar investment property, including multiple 4 family houses or two 2 family houses.

My biggest one was selling four 4 family houses in St. Louis and I did a 1031 and brought the money to Georgia and bought 3 quads, 4 duplexes and a house with the cash. If I'm understanding your question right, what you are trying to do is very doable.

if your broker is unable to refer you to a reputable exchange accommodator, you may want to check with your cpa or escrow/title rep.

lots of rules associated with 1031s, but it can be an invaluable tool if executed properly.

You have to go seek advice from a real estate lawyer that can help you more in your problem and situation.

Back