Renter's Insurance, Floods, and Mold. (Oh my)

JordansDad

Hello and thank you for reading this. For simpliciy, I am going to present my quyestion as a hypothetical. I am including maybe too much detail, but I do not know what will be relevant.

So here goes...

Bob purchses a Renter's Insurance Policy on July 1. The policy is from an extremely reputable company which covers flood (with limited mold coverage) insurance by default - with the iusual caveats; must be man-made, no lianility with the renter, etc. On August 1, Bob notices something strange. The hardwood floors in his unit have bucked seemingly overnight in two places. Bob makes a mental note to contact his management company to let them know when he gets home from work that evening.

Bob wonders what could be causing this during the day. He recalls the events of the night of June 1. He came home late that evening and noticed his bathroom floor was very wet. He looks for any leaks and cannot find anythng. As he mops up the water he hears what seems to be intermiittent water running. He walks to the front door to take his dog out. As he opens it he notices a peculiar sight. There is water coming out the front door between the hardwood floors and the base flooring. (Picture an older apartment building where is no threshhold at the base of the door - just hardwood then it stops and the cement walkway outside begins). .The top of the hardwood itself is completel dry. It does this for a minute or so, then stops.

Landlord texts the next day and says the unit below has complained about a leak. Bob tells his landlord the whole story. Hearing that everything has stopped for the time being, the landlord does the folowing:
He brings a de-humidifier to run and says he will make an appointment to have a plumber come out to inspect. They work out a mutually agreeable time that week. He then texts and says he must cancel the appointment and reschedule for the dsay after. This time however conflicts with a veterinarian appointment for Bob's dog . The text after tells Bob to be home between 9 am and noon on Saturday as the plumber from the unit below will be coming to inspect. Saturday comes; 9 am...10 am...no plumber.

At 11 am Bob texts his owner to be sure the plumber is still coming and also adds he has a hard out at noon due to an appointmet across town at 12:30.. Bob says he does not want to annoy the apparently already irritated landlord from the unit below. So noon comes and no plumber. Bob leaves and hears nothing more about any appointment.

The following Wednesday, the water is shut off to Bob's entire building. Bob inquires by text to his owner to be sure this has nothing to do with the previous week's events in his unit as the other residents were very upset. Landlord replies that yes he believes the owner downstairs had the water shut off. Bob is incredulous. Bob feels now that there has been much more going on that he is not being told aboiut. It takes 48 hoiurs for the city to come and turn the water back on. Still, no one has come to look at anything in Bob's apartment.

Back now to August 1. Bob comes home from work and the buckling has occurred 5 or 6 more places and it appears that the entire hardwood floor has almost risen higher. Bob calls his landlord and managent company but so far has no response.

Bob has been noticing an odd smell the past few days and now identifies it: MOLD! H ehas also had a cough, slight congestion, that "back of the throat" stuff, light headaches, and some nausea the past few days seemngly from nowhere. Nothing too serious, but curious.

Finally, the question I have is fundamentally timeline related. I am assuming that Bob is up for a great upheavel in his life. Relocation (temporary he hopes), with lots of extra hidden expenses Bob is not prepared for. Hotels, food, extra gas, possibly dog boarding, etc. Remember the actual EVENT occurred 30 days BEFORE the policy took effect. But the issues have happened SINCE the policy has taken effect. What does that mean for getting any Loss of Use benefits?

Thank you for reading!

Which carrier covered the unit before Bob moved in? Do not use the word "flood". This is not a flood and mixing the term with what happened here is a mistake. Dont expect the carrier to lift the floor or tear into walls to "look" for mold. That wont happen. Is this a condo or an apartment? Bob has a renters policy which covers personal property and liability, nothing covered as far as structure. Bob might get an allowance for loss of use from owner of unit. Forget about alleged mold sickness

Thank you #fedup ! I appreciate the verbiage check. No idea who the previous carrier was. May I ask the relevance of that? Is it something I should find out?

Oh, and my intention was never to go the "mold sickness" track. Just added that in to drive home the issue. Truly, the only concern here was what happens when they go in and fix the floors - and only as far as who pays for relocation while they do. I know that RI won't cover the structure - assuming that the landlord's insurance will be doing that. That isn't even a concern TBH - just the Loss of Use issue for the tenant. Sorry if that wasn't clear!

But again - thank you!

Loss seems to have occurred before current policy was in effect and if it was a renters policy also that could be the policy that any loss you have falls to. The loss of use depends on the policy language of the owners policy and whether the owner will pay for your inconveniences.

Not to my knowledge.
Someone cut the water off for the building and you dont know if they found the cause of the leak? Is this a condo?. If so the first $5000 of the building coverage deductible could be charged to the condo owners. You need to do some digging.

Latest posts

Back