Smart Choice, SIAA..???

Italianik

Expert
Hi All,
I am now to the point I need some options to market risks. Specifically personal lines- as my main carrier has changed their competitive position on homeowners. My home apps/ DPW are actually down from year one, whereas all other lines are growing substantially.

Secondary I need a home for commercial risks that don't fit their appetite.

Looked at Iroquois, but their contract doesn't appeal to me.

I am strongly considering SIAA. I like their markets and if I can prospect it they will help me find a market.

Smart Choice is another consideration but their markets are as varied.

Any thoughts?
:)

Premier Group Insurance.

Consider what you need from a group and make sure you get that.

Groups should deliver on four things:

Transparency
Carrier Alignment
Training and support
Contract

Too many agents make mistakes and only consider the contract. Don't be that guy. Qualify the Qualitative prongs of your decision. (Transparency, Carrier Alignment, and Training and support) Call 20-30 of their agents and ask them about the Qualitative things. Don't call the agents they tell you to call. Take a day to do this with each group. (You might want to do this as you get down to the finish line with a few so it saves you time)

Join a group that helps you ask the right questions during the courtship process. Some groups offering fire sales and groups that offer easy in and out, but the contract says very differently- be aware of that!

Call me with questions.

Last edited:
SIAA has worked out great for me & my situation, however it's largely dependent upon your MA..how many carriers they have..their relationships w/ them etc. SIAA's contract is pretty much impossible to get out of as well unless you buy back your book at above market value so that's a negative.

I would say make every effort to pickup direct contracts w/ carriers you know are competitive in your area & see who's receptive. Some nationals like Safeco, Encompass etc may be gay...but regionals will be more receptive. If that fails you...then look at groups.

Looking back I figured it was impossible to get carriers w/out a group...but it's not.

Too many agents make mistakes and only consider the contract. Don't be that guy.
No worries I am a lady so we're good.

I would say make every effort to pickup direct contracts w/ carriers you know are competitive in your area & see who's receptive.
I will look into this. I am just worried about more direct commitments b/c Erie has me by the you-know-what's....
Plus I need a home for commercial stuff that Erie doesn't want. Seems hard to compete with the big boys with 2-3 markets.

So one vote for SIAA and one for Smart Choice and one for Premier. Hahaha this is right where I was. I will take a step back and rethink over the next few weeks.

Erie peeps- what has/ hasn't worked for you as far as other markets?

Back