The $83,000 Stinger!!

Yagents

Guru
5000 Post Club
Arizona
Stay out of AZ unless you have an Obama cover everything plan.
Ouch!
Out here in AZ, we also have a condition called Valley Fever, which is a respiratory condition people get from spores in the desert dust. Only BCBS AZ understands the condition and will approve with recovery and no recurrence, every other company is a decline.

PHOENIX (AP) — An Arizona woman is wondering what hurt more: getting stung by a scorpion or seeing her hospital bill after treatment.
Marcie Edmonds says the bill from Chandler Regional Medical Center was more than $83,000. That includes two doses of anti-venom at nearly $40,000 per dose.
The Arizona Republic (Scorpion sting leaves Ahwatukee woman with a big bill) says Edmonds' insurer has paid more than $57,000 and the suburban Phoenix hospital is asking Edmonds for the balance of about $25,000

Scorpion sting leaves Arizona woman with huge bill - Yahoo! News

It would appear the anti-venom is not in the formulary. I doubt any a-v is since it is usually produced by reptile farms, not pharmaceutical companies.

In other words, the a-v was treated as a non-par claim. Carrier paid a reasonable amount for the a-v but the provider stuck to their guns about their price.

There is probably a hospital mark up but if you dissected the claim I bet you would find the issue is the amount charged for a-v.

I doubt she would have been any better off with an Obama approved plan.

Apparently, it looks like the same medicine can be found at Mexico for only $100.

At the hospital emergency room, a doctor told her a scorpion anti-venom, called Anascorp, would relieve her symptoms.

But he never told her the drug cost an astronomical $39,652 per dose neither did he offer up an alternative, she claims.

Edmonds was given two doses of the drug administered through an IV drip and was discharged after just three hours once her symptoms subsided.
Weeks later a bill for $83,046 dropped through her Ahwatukee Foothills letterbox.

According to Arizona Republic, the anti-venom costs just $100 a dose at pharmacies in Mexico, suggesting the state's hospitals are making a fortune.

The Food and Drug Administration approved the sale of the drug in the United States last year.

Tennessee-based Rare Disease Therapeutics sold the drug to a distributor for $3,500 per dose, and the distributor charged hospitals about $3,780 per dose.
Marcie Edmonds: Woman stung by $83,046 medical bill after scorpion attacks her bottom | Mail Online

Last edited:
Squeaky wheel gets the press that creates the pressure, and there you have it
-------------
A Chandler hospital that billed an Ahwatukee Foothills woman $83,046 for administering two doses of scorpion antivenom said Wednesday it plans to adjust the woman's bill and review its price for the expensive specialty medication.

As i have said many times..... the problem with health care is NOT the insurance companies.... its the providers, period end of story.

Health insurance is just a "line of credit" designiated to pay when you need the "funds" Providers are the whores of the industry. Control their cost and you control health care spending. I sound like a libertard now dont I rick?

Back