This WILL Help You Sell More Health Insurance

You guys haven't figured this out yet? The carriers in most states are rating up higher than the federal risk pool hoping the sick kids just goes there instead.

carriers in most states are rating up higher than the federal risk pool hoping the sick kids just goes there instead.

That's a plan, unless they are coming off COBRA and the parents are willing to let them go naked for 6 months.

I have heard of Marfans Syndrome, Mark, but was not really knowledgeable about it. I had heard it said that Abraham Lincoln suffered from it. I looked it up in Wikipedia and was overwhelmed by the many complications that may occur from this genetic disorder. It also stated that 2007 a study indicated Lincoln did not have Marfans but suffered from multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2B that caused skeletal features almost identical to Marfans Syndrome. I wish you the very best.

Can someone point me to something definitive that kids are really even GI at this point (9/23)? Anthem CA is telling us that kids are NOT GI, can be rated and declined.

They are saying that the carriers who dumped kid-only policies did so "in anticipation" of an HHS future ruling forcing insurers to GI all kids but that as of 9/23 there is no such provision in force.

As I recall, the GI for kids was not part of the law but added via declaration from HHS. Same for the open enrollment period.

My brain is fried now, but if you want to Google HHS regs PPACA you might find your answer.

If a child is part of a family plan, he/she (under age 19) cannot be turned down, or ridered. But he/she can be charged more. But to date, I have not seen anything from the govt stating what the maximum premium rating can be. One of our health companies said that 400% is the maximum rate-up for a child, but I think that is what they decided at this company's headquarters.
-AC

Edit to add:

Came across this interesting News story out of Colorado.
Emergency Regulation Offers 'Child Only' Insurance - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver
1. The Healthcare Reform legislation does not place a limit on what a carrier can charge for a child.
2. Colorado has passed an "emergency regulation" for an open enrollment period from 10/1 thru 10/31 for stand-alone child policies. I wonder how many companies in Colorado are offering them?

End Edit.

Last edited:
I have heard of Marfans Syndrome, Mark, but was not really knowledgeable about it. I had heard it said that Abraham Lincoln suffered from it. I looked it up in Wikipedia and was overwhelmed by the many complications that may occur from this genetic disorder. It also stated that 2007 a study indicated Lincoln did not have Marfans but suffered from multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2B that caused skeletal features almost identical to Marfans Syndrome. I wish you the very best.

I found out that I have Marfans in 2001. It really changed my life. The doctor told me that my aorta was enlarged and I was having bad heart issues.

I was glad that I already had life insurance and health insurance. I know how people in these support group feel. Awareness & Action Here is just one example of me working with other Marfans to help people that have Marfans.

I have tons of stuff on Marfans. I invest a lot of my time and money into it. I don't talk much about it on insurance forums, but there is not one day that goes by that I don't think about it.

I don't sell health insurance and not trying to make money from this idea. My goal on this post is to help children that have marfans get health insurance. Maybe some other groups.

I work with the Emergy Medical Campain for Marfans. We send out kits to all the ER, and doctors teaching them about Marfans and trying to save lifes. Most of the people that die from Marfans, dont know they have it or what it is. If the ER or doctor don't know how to spot it, they will only kill the person faster.

I just bought about 5,000 posters , to teach people about Marfans in doctor's offices. If anyone wants one, just let me know and I will send you one.

Back