USL&H Question

Indiana_Adam

Guru
100+ Post Club
If a company is working in a scrap yard near the water, but not on the water, are they covered by WC or do they need longshore coverage? When I say scrapping, I mean cutting large pieces of old oil rigs down into transportable sizes. No work is being performed on the water. But it is near and being performed on parts of commercial sea vessels. So I'm a bit unsure. Thank you.

I am pretty sure that USL&H is only needed when employees are working on the water or on floating property such as docks or boats. Definitely need to do some more research. I have experience only from insuring marina's and boat repair.

Thats what I initially believed as well. And hope! However, I read a bit stating if work is done on commercial watercraft or boats over 65 feet, it is necessary coverage, regardless of where the work is done. Don't know if the cutting of pieces (not whole vessels) would be categorized as working on commercial watercraft.

May be a moot point anywho as the contracting company may require them to carry it anyways to be safe or required by their comm. policies in relation to subs.

Latest posts

Back