10 best ideas for increasing retention

Hi,

Do you call your renewals a head of time? Are you sending reminders? Sending cards when you hear of marriage, death, birthdays etc... also works. I have written a keys to customer service booklet with little tibits in it.

The best thing to do to retain any client is to be as personal as possible. We keep track of birthday and anniversaries, etc. in our system. Send cards, not from your agency, directly from you the agent. If I'm in the area, I drop in and say hi to clients while I'm out on a call. Even if they're unavailable and I only leave a card, I think it helps that they know I took time out of my day just for them. It makes them think that I'm constantly shopping and thinking about their policy. I've even stopped in with a pizza for some clients that I've become friendly with. My philosophy is that it's harder for a client to drop you if they know all about your family and if they actually like you as a person.

Yep, QC provided some great help and insight. Grew a little tired of hearing the self proclaimed marketing expert spout off about himself all the time. He needs to tell it like it is, his resume is rather dull, then he rounds up some of the greatest, successful marketing minds in the industry and gets them to share their successful programs with others, now that's something to brag about.

Hey veterans out there. I've been working on my numbers lately and notice that our retention rate for our non-standard P/C book is around 73%.

What are your best ideas for increasing that number? We are currently doing nothing formal, so all ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Kassidi

:yes:

Send a little reminder of yourself on days that nonbody else is doing it, and the only card they will read is yours. Example send a Thanksgiving day card, birthday card, independence day, etc.

Everybody, at least the professionals, send Christmas cards which makes your card just one in a pile of many.

And the biggest jokes are the Farmers (I believe) ads talking about how their previous agent overinsured them. Wow. What a concept.

Has anyone actually met someone who was truly overinsured? I haven't yet.

Are you kidding??? absolutley! Maybe not on the Auto side (but even that is possible). I know we like to say there is no such thing as over insured, but there really is. Take for instance you have a house worth $150k to rebuild, and you have that home insured for $300k with a 20% replacement. That is way over insured, and it happens more than you think. I always offer to conduct a replacement cost estimate on customers houses, just to make sure they are not over/under insured. Now when you get into things like liability coverage, and Umbrella policies, I would agree. No such thing as too much.:1laugh:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Personally we don't do a whole lot of non standard auto. However, I call each customer at renewall time, and see if they have any questions or would like to review their coverages. I don't know how well it works, but it is better than only hearing from your agent when your late on your bill. LOL

Last edited:
Keep in touch with your clients. Do more than just sell them and forget about them.

It is okay to call them and ask them how they are doing and if they need anything.

Back