• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

2025 AEP Disruptions: Updates to The Inflation Reduction Act

I think for agents with big books block out the noise and work your clients 70% of aep . The other 30% work referrals. Every body is shouting “ with disruption comes opportunity “ . Most of those clients won’t feel disruption until 1/25 . So technically many clients might stay put as usual during aep then when they feel the massive changes first hand will be scrambling . Oep is when you can build your book hard .In years past I’ve moved less than 5% of my book as people have been happy and stayed put
 
Two separate and independent lines of coverage. I don't follow your reasoning.
Not my reasoning. It's the lawyers. Based on the transactional process in dealing with the client.

Also told that most agents that get their counselors license are commercial P&C agents. I always thought it would be life agents.

 
When aca went to $0 commission for a year, I know an agent that sold a quarterly newsletter for $250 year. If they signed up, they got free ACA enrollment and services. Over 125 signed up for the newsletter to buy an off exchange PPO for $100mo cheaper premium. Not elig for aptc.

Thoughts? Selling a separate product created by the agent
 
@rmhaire I understand an agent cannot collect commission + charge a fee. My question was about charging a PDP fee and having to give up commission on Medigap.

That is not considered a tie-in sale (which is illegal) so what is the connection between a PDP fee and commission on Medigap?

@Yagents I don't see a problem in charging a fee for advice, newsletter, etc on a $0 commission product.
 
@rmhaire I understand an agent cannot collect commission + charge a fee. My question was about charging a PDP fee and having to give up commission on Medigap.

That is not considered a tie-in sale (which is illegal) so what is the connection between a PDP fee and commission on Medigap?

@Yagents I don't see a problem in charging a fee for advice, newsletter, etc on a $0 commission product.
I get your question. But all I know is what I've been told which is:

An agent can charge a client a fee, but has to stick with fees regardless of products. A counselor can mix and mingle. I got this from a golfing buddy of mine who is a counselor.

My question would be what does CMS think about all this. Hell, they freak out if you spend more than $15 on a potential client.

And what about the carriers? I can't see UHC's compliance department saying "Sure, go ahead. We don't care"
 
I get your question. But all I know is what I've been told which is:

An agent can charge a client a fee, but has to stick with fees regardless of products. A counselor can mix and mingle. I got this from a golfing buddy of mine who is a counselor.

My question would be what does CMS think about all this. Hell, they freak out if you spend more than $15 on a potential client.

And what about the carriers? I can't see UHC's compliance department saying "Sure, go ahead. We don't care"
It still amazes me that this bloated bureaucracy can demand how we run our private businesses. It’s pure bullshit. I understand contracts, and I get that it’s a delicate dance if you agree to it. But like with doctors, they agree to accept Medicaid or Medicare so they have to take the charges they are given. That’s understandable because they are still guaranteed to be paid. With us, there is no guarantee. You could do a ton of work for free and there isn’t a damn thing you can do about it. Anytime we speak to someone, we should be able to tell them, “I fully understand you may not go with these plans. If that were to be the case, my retainer services fee is $100 or $150, and should you not choose a plan, that will be forfeited.” I see nothing wrong with that at all. Why should we be forced to do tons of free work?
 
Last edited:
The problem with not helping is they'll call someone else. Which could make you lose something else (med supp).

The problem with helping is it might be for $0. Don't like that.

Last year did a lot of PDP reviews via text. "Looks good, change not recommended" or "Looks like changing makes sense - schedule call here..."

Talked with a few other agents recently and they "analyzed" what I did and we all concluded that I encouraged the review too much and made it too easy for them to ask for time for a review.

So - planning to do something similar but hopefully better this coming AEP assuming PDPs still get comp - in that I'll offer to help but they'll need to go thru steps first before. But I won't send out "reminders - time is running out to review" type stuff. That may help.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top