• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

81 year old declined from "get up and go"

Why don't you have personal relationships with local paramed examiners rather than having the company send "the bitch"? I know some companies will only take exams from certain companies, so there's that. Maybe it's a Southern geography thing (California is very densely populated and not hard to have local industry relationships). I bet if you attend a local NAIFA meeting, you'd network with some local examiners who would have a personal reputation to defend by working with agents in that chapter.

I don't do enough fully underwritten to have a relationship with my local paramed company. FU is usually a nightmare. I've done my fair share to know. I'm familiar with working with various paramed companies as I was a life case manager for 10 years. But yeah, don't do enough fully underwritten ..by choice . This guy was in a very rural area as well..

Not all SI policies check the MIB. And a decline on MIB does not usually mean an automatic decline on many SI policies... even some FU policies (if you explain the reason and it is a reason that carrier accepts). Some of the FE agents can chime in here with possible carriers.

Also, if you really think they will be declined, pull the app from UW. You can cancel it up to the point they issue a decision. That would avoid the MIB hit if I remember correctly.

Carriers are certainly more strict on UW for someone in their 80s. But they dont offer the product if they are not willing to insure that age. They issue policies on 80 year olds every day... some more than others though. LFG has always been friendly to older ages, and they table shave which helps a lot in that age group.
yeah, LFG is who I went with! lol. I wrote a pretty large case with them before on a 67 year old and it was hell to get through underwriting.. but we did get a favorable decision at least

Gotta be honest, I've never heard of an examiner doing this "get up and go' thing. Is that something that is a carrier specific test? I've only done a few cases on folks that are older (late 70's early 80's) but I've not run into it.

There are different test triggered by age and amount. One is the 'Clock' the client is told to draw a clock showing a certain time. Another is a memory test. Fairly common.

lifeismylife76- yeah, those were the options I tried to LEAD with..but he wanted much more than 30 or 40k and has 150 UL he is wanting to replace because the premiums keep going up. Also even going simplified issue, they are going to check MIB :/

Run an inforce with a premium search to guarantee the death benefit for 20 years. That is the premium target.

As VolAgent suggested, get another exam done and get his records. You may need to pay for it out of pocket but if you are that sure it will be worth it. Cost of doing business.

I don't do enough fully underwritten to have a relationship with my local paramed company. FU is usually a nightmare. I've done my fair share to know. I'm familiar with working with various paramed companies as I was a life case manager for 10 years. But yeah, don't do enough fully underwritten ..by choice . This guy was in a very rural area as well..

Case manager experience is now where close to agent experience. Fully underwritten is

Case manager experience is now where close to agent experience. Fully underwritten is not a nightmare, it is fully underwritten. It is much harder for a SI only agent to try to be a fully underwritten agent than a fully underwritten agent to do SI. The learning curve is very different.

Case manager experience is now where close to agent experience. Fully underwritten is

Case manager experience is now where close to agent experience. Fully underwritten is not a nightmare, it is fully underwritten. It is much harder for a SI only agent to try to be a fully underwritten agent than a fully underwritten agent to do SI. The learning curve is very different.

I never said case management was the same as having agent experience. It does help as far as being familiar with all of the different products, forms, requirements and working directly with underwriters tho through different and sometimes complex cases.

FU is a nightmare . Bait and switch most of the time unless you have a very healthy person

I never said case management was the same as having agent experience. It does help as far as being familiar with all of the different products, forms, requirements and working directly with underwriters tho through different and sometimes complex cases.

FU is a nightmare . Bait and switch most of the time unless you have a very healthy person

In one of your post you mentioned your 10 years in insurance. I assume on salary, defined work hours and place. No skin in the cases. You ate because someone brought you food, today you have to hunt and kill to eat. More so if you are single income. Vastly different.

Bait and Switch? There many agents out here doing FU every day. Most of us place business as applied. Last year I wrote business on several FE only agents. Guy that kill it doing FE only. They call me when they run into an 80 year old like yours. I recommend getting a relationship with someone that is more comfortable with this type of case. After a few deals you could decide if you are comfortable with doing these nightmare cases or not.

All IMohsoHO

In one of your post you mentioned your 10 years in insurance. I assume on salary, defined work hours and place. No skin in the cases. You ate because someone brought you food, today you have to hunt and kill to eat. More so if you are single income. Vastly different.

Bait and Switch? There many agents out here doing FU every day. Most of us place business as applied. Last year I wrote business on several FE only agents. Guy that kill it doing FE only. They call me when they run into an 80 year old like yours. I recommend getting a relationship with someone that is more comfortable with this type of case. After a few deals you could decide if you are comfortable with doing these nightmare cases or not.

All IMohsoHO

what does the fact that I was previously on salary and now I'm not have to do with my insurance experience. You're high and mighty.. I get it. Settle down..

All IMohsoHO
and to each as own. I would rather not wait months to get paid either , but you do you! lol

Back