AARP 50-64 plans

Winter_123

Guru
5000 Post Club
I notice that Rick mentioned the AARP 50-64 health plans. What are those plans all about. Do they have anything going for them?

Winter

These are indemnity plans and available to sell if you are contracted thru UHC Ovations and certified with the AARP/Secure Horizons program. It is a very comprehensive program, and is good for the branding due to market recognition, however, the specific products may not be competitively priced. There are some seniors, however, that will buy them regardless.

I carry them, and make sure the prospect knows he is paying more for the AARP benefits than he could obtain with another of my products. The choice is theirs to make. (However, if I didn't carry the AARP product, they would not have that choice.)

Quite frankly, I am impressed with the plethora of options that come with the complete package from AARP/Secure Horizons. It approximates what I already carry, but in a seamless offer.

Just be advised, there is a LOT of paperwork involved!!

These are indemnity plans and available to sell if you are contracted thru UHC Ovations and certified with the AARP/Secure Horizons program. It is a very comprehensive program, and is good for the branding due to market recognition, however, the specific products may not be competitively priced. There are some seniors, however, that will buy them regardless.

I carry them, and make sure the prospect knows he is paying more for the AARP benefits than he could obtain with another of my products. The choice is theirs to make. (However, if I didn't carry the AARP product, they would not have that choice.)

Quite frankly, I am impressed with the plethora of options that come with the complete package from AARP/Secure Horizons. It approximates what I already carry, but in a seamless offer.

Just be advised, there is a LOT of paperwork involved!!

Alright thanks, I will check out the 50-64 plans for sure. You never know what is competetive on a state by state basis. AARP med supps have the lowest rates in my state although I understand that they are not elsewhere. Also, we have the highest or second highest health insurance rates in the country (guaranteed issue state) and Blue Cross is the only game in town (and they sell only through their sales force or close to it). So, you never know how the AARP 50-64 rates play out in a market that is already overpriced. On the other hand, when I check it out I may find that the 50-64 plan is not even approved here because a lot of companies stay out of the guaranteed issue market. I think anyway.

Winter

Just got a call from the UHC DSU today. They finally responded to an inquiry I made several weeks ago about when the certification for AARP Indemnity plans would be available. This rep told me certification was not available yet... DUH!

Then the rep asked me "What is the Indemnity plan?" This should tell you where they are at.

The last info I posted about this several weeks ago was, that I heard from an inside source that it would be about a month before the Indemnity plans would be available, and then only in certain locations. My own research tells me they will be available in MO but not in KS.

I don't expect much info is available yet, because I don't think UHC has a handle on implementation of many of the other plans they have. If someone does have some info, please post it.

Just got a call from the UHC DSU today. They finally responded to an inquiry I made several weeks ago about when the certification for AARP Indemnity plans would be available. This rep told me certification was not available yet... DUH!

Then the rep asked me "What is the Indemnity plan?" This should tell you where they are at.

The last info I posted about this several weeks ago was, that I heard from an inside source that it would be about a month before the Indemnity plans would be available, and then only in certain locations. My own research tells me they will be available in MO but not in KS.

I don't expect much info is available yet, because I don't think UHC has a handle on implementation of many of the other plans they have. If someone does have some info, please post it.

As I said in an earlier post, you would be better off calling your local Dunkin Donuts rather than the DSU as they are as worthless as tits on a nun. Someone piped up and commented that they did a great job, especially because whomever you called ran all over asked others if they did not know the answer proving how helpful they are. I have to believe that anyone who thinks that the DSU is competent doesnt deal with many other companies because they are the worst in my book and it is based on many many interactions with them and other carriers.

I don't do non-medicare health insurance so I can't compare there. Maybe those folks are all shlocks. Don't know. But I can say without doubt that all of the broker dealers, life insurance, and annuity carriers that I deal with are head and shoulders above the DSU. They either do not have an anwer, are dumbfounded when you use common insurance terminology or scenarios, or give you an answer and it is flat out wrong. In addition, they do not return most of their phone calls. I did have someone return a call once. They are worthless.

Winter

I have had clients with spouses who were pre-Medicare and loosing their insurance since the primary insured was going to Medicare look at the AARP plans.

Of the handful I have talked to, no one went with the AARP plans.

Time has some type of limited benefit policy coming out that is supposed to be a cut above the rest, but I personally have not looked into it.

Update (April '08):

Now that the OEP is closed, AARP Indemnity plans for 50-64 are now available in AL, AR, AZ, DE, IL, MD, MI, MO, NE, OH, PA, TX, WV and WY.

UHC administers the mini-meds (Essential and Essential Plus) while Aetna handles the major-med (Essential Premier). To offer the mini-meds, you have to be appointed with UHC. To offer the Essential Premier, you have to be appointed with Aetna. You only have until the end of the month to get paperwork done, according to my recent email. Considering last fall's debacle, this will be a challenge!

So yesterday a friend tells me that he wrote about 10 MA plans for UHC/Secure Horizons, but hasn't been paid. I laughed. Then I told him good luck getting paid! How long do you think he should wait????

June. They may wait for the Grouch (sp) report to balance out CMS accounts before they pay him. I had that happen last year with Any Plan. Only company to do that. Most have paid out or paying out now.

Back