Advice from the Pros please!

M

Macdaddy

Hi guys,

I was licensed earlier this year in L&H and am ready to start building my business, however, I really need some guidance on which direction I should start.

I have a master general agent (thru a friend) that will allow me to sign under him to start out my life contracts of 110%-130% on avg, which from my research is pretty good.

Both my freind and the MGA do not live in my area, so I have a delimma in gaining the hands one experiential training that I need to learn the ins and outs of the business. I have a lengthy history in sales and sales mgmt, but what I lack is the experience and education in selling insurance products. I also have extensive experience in selling thru the internet.

My main questions are:

1. What do I need to do to obtian the needed education and experience. I am willing to pay if needed. Do I need to sign on with one of the big firms for 6 months to access thier training?

2. What is best avenue to start out in? Using Health Ins. to establish clients? Mortgate Protection? Concentrate on the Senior Market?

3. Is it best to work on just one type of insurance like life before gaining the experience in another, like health?

If you guys were to start all over today and do things different, what would you do if you were me?

My intermmediate goals are to build either an agency or a Finacial planning practice.

The Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area. I see you are in Marysville? Years ago I managed stores for Clayton Homes, which is based in Marysville.

Macdaddy said:
The Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area. I see you are in Marysville? Years ago I managed stores for Clayton Homes, which is based in Marysville.

Yea, they built their new HQ's about half a mile from me. Just curious as if there is any agents in your area, don't know of any in the Greater Cincinnati area? Yet though I do like that area, coming south on the interstate you can't see Cincinnati till you top that hill and enter the valley. Then lo and behold you have Cincinnati spread out in front of you in seemingly a split second!

I was thinking if we could find a expierence agent in your area you could go out and prospect and then they run some apt's with you. You would simply split the commission in a fair way. If you are just starting out I would I agree with others Health is about the easiest way of breaking into the market. Then you can move over to Voluntary Group since we would all suggest that marketing to small business is about the best way to go. Plus I think that would be inline with your desire of pursuing a Financial Advisor in the future.

If I could find an agent in my area that would be ideal. I would still need good training however. Any suggestions on how to get both?

If I can't find someone, can you think of a national firm that it would make sense for me to go to work for in the short term to acquire both?

Do you think the contract percentages I have a pretty good or going rate for an independent?

Macdaddy said:
If I could find an agent in my area that would be ideal. I would still need good training however. Any suggestions on how to get both?

If I can't find someone, can you think of a national firm that it would make sense for me to go to work for in the short term to acquire both?

Do you think the contract percentages I have a pretty good or going rate for an independent?

If you went the captive route I would suggest Mass Mutual or the Guardian if you have interest in the Financial side.

James said:
If you went the captive route I would suggest Mass Mutual or the Guardian if you have interest in the Financial side.

In the Cincy area stay away from the Guardian operation. Very bad reputation.

I think I met a guy at a LEAP symposium that is with Securian (Minnesota Mutal) in your area, he seems very happy, but I have no direct experience with them.

indaville said:
James said:

In the Cincy area stay away from the Guardian operation. Very bad reputation.

I think I met a guy at a LEAP symposium that is with Securian (Minnesota Mutal) in your area, he seems very happy, but I have no direct experience with them.

How do you know Guardian has a bad rep? In what way?

I had lunch today with an Financial Planner friend that has a 12 year old practice, to pick his brain. He shared the ins and outs of the biz and then made me the proposal to sign up with his broker dealer under him and he would mentor me for two years. The catch is he gets 20% of the 90% that the broker dealer pays. At the end of the two years I sign on independently at 90%. Not a bad deal to learn the financial planning side of the biz.

I am giving it some serious consideration. I will still be independent, and running my own shop in my own office.

Back