Aetna is new to the Carolinas...Please advise.

The Aetna network is the same here, strong in metro and somewhat lacking in rural. I do not market in the rural areas so it does not matter. Rate wise, they are right in the hunt with Humana & World. Once again Bob, you are right when it comes to Humana underwriting - kinda tough. Their Monogram product ($7500 ded) cannot be beat on price. It is priced the way HSA's ought to be and comes with $300 preventitive benefits from day one - also covers the first $200 lab/x ray per year. I ran a quote yesterday - M 52 & F 50 good health. $199/mth covers both. Can't beat that with a stick!

If Aetna doesn't take my type II guy, I can always place him in the state program for about the same price. You know how those folks are - I will be surprised if I can get him to go to the doc for a physical.

KP out here only pays 13.50/mth per member and they only offer two plans that include Rx. They are not much of a player - offer them upon request only. Pretty much the same with Anthem BC/BS- they pay alright but offer higher rates and fewer benefits = upon request only.

If you let commissions drive you then you will never do the job you need to for your client.

I could not agree more...the 6 years that I've been in the industry have been spent making less by offering more. With that said, in NC, other than Celtic I don't think there is a carrier that pays less. However, when hearing the commissions for some of the other state's blues and for kp 15% is nice.

What is the commission level for BCBS in NC?

Hey salpro22... A standard BCBS contract is 20%. If you are a major producer it can be increased to 25%. This is all subject to change shortly as they are looking to introduce a new pay structure and tier. However, it is extremely difficult to get your own contract here in NC. It can especially be hard in certain parts of the state. For those who can't get their own contract, you must contract through an agency. As you can imagine, if you are contracted under another agency you will take a big haircut on your comp schedule.

As far as Aetna goes...it looks like there is a $2500 max on rx's in NC. Are other states like this?

Hey salpro22... A standard BCBS contract is 20%. If you are a major producer it can be increased to 25%. This is all subject to change shortly as they are looking to introduce a new pay structure and tier. However, it is extremely difficult to get your own contract here in NC. It can especially be hard in certain parts of the state. For those who can't get their own contract, you must contract through an agency. As you can imagine, if you are contracted under another agency you will take a big haircut on your comp schedule.

As far as Aetna goes...it looks like there is a $2500 max on rx's in NC. Are other states like this?

$5,000 for MD,VA and PA.

95% of mY business is UHC, BC and Aetna.

Aetna has a 5-year banded rate so if you have a client that is 48 (or 43), Aetna's rates will be solid. If they are a skinny healthy smoker, then they will be almost unbeatable.

Of course, the dilemma is when your client is 49 and will turn 50 in 3-6 months. (or 39, 29 etc..)

Colorado does not have Rx caps/year on any of the MM policies. We are lucky so far when it comes to that. As far as 5 yr banded rates go - does not matter for the first yr because the rate is guaranteed for 1 yr. If there are a few years difference btw husband/wife and the rate is determined by the oldest, separate policies are always an option.

Aetna had $5k caps on Rx until July of this year in GA. My guess is they try to limit their exposure as much as the DOI will allow in the first year or two after they enter a market.

The PPO Value was the only plan they offered in GA (until 7/07) that did not have the Rx cap and was the only plan I sold for them . . . until now.

New to Aetna...please advise

I'm considering picking up Aetna, mainly for the individual mkt, but if i stumble on a small group I thought they would be a good choice.

However, looking at their commission plan, they only pay 4% on 2-3 lives group? Unless you do all those add ons with add and dental (smile) to pump it up. Seems awfully low....is this the standard.?

2nd Request:

Is it normal for carriers to only pay 4% for small groups on medical coverage only....unless you pump it up with add-ons?

Yes or NO

Back