Agents Ready — But Unable To Sell — On ACA Exchanges

kennethbroyles

Guru
100+ Post Club
Link to .
Agents Ready -- But Unable To Sell -- On ACA Exchanges - Insurance Broadcasting

"By Elizabeth Galentine, additional reporting by Brian Kalish

Meeting with a health insurance carrier on day two of the Affordable Care Act’s health insurance exchange open enrollment period Wednesday, David Smith, vice president at Ebenconcepts in Morrisville, N.C., did not like what he was hearing.

The carrier, which Smith declined to identify, shared how one of its agents had attempted to enroll a client on the North Carolina health insurance marketplace website. Due to widespread technological issues [link to technology story], that agent was forced have the client complete their preliminary enrollment by phone. The client was then directed to log back on to healthcare.gov to complete their plan selection. According to Smith, the client said, “I still want to make sure my agent gets paid on this because he’s been very helpful,” but, the person at the call center responded, “That’s not going to happen. He’s not going to get paid. In fact, you can’t even go into the process now and make sure that he gets paid. He’s out.”

I had the same experience yesterday when I tried to sign myself up through CoveredCA. No space to input agent info, and when I asked tech support how to do it, their first question was "Did your agent ask you to enter his information?"

Is there a problem with letting clients know to input the agent info? I mean obviously if you enroll them you can enter it in yourself but what about those who you may not meet with in person?

Back