Am Considering Selling Medicare Plans, Do You Think Its Worth It?

Matilda, you are too late for this year. Regardless of what anybody tells you, it will take two weeks to get contracted and appointed with the carriers. It will take another week or two to get certified. It will take you the rest of the year to learn the products and the ins and outs to keep you out of CMS jail. Your upline , despite what they tell you, will not be available to train you at the level you need at this time. They will be bussy making money. Sitting at the mall will not make you money. You might use that time to find a job there, which is what I would recommend if you are in desparate financial need. So I would recommend to start but with the expectation of being ready for next year. Get a job now so you can have some money for Christmas.

I agree, I've been doing this for 11 years (95% Medicare products) and I still don't feel I'm completely ready for AEP. It takes longer then a month. Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.

A local agency is advertising for insurance agents to sign up with them to get certified to sell Medicare plans this coming October which I am considering. My question is for those of you who are knowledgeable in this area.

Do you think it is worth my time and effort to get all my certifications, etc. so that I will be able to sell by this enrollment period? The agency said I will be paid $400 for new applications and $200 for switching an existing Medicare plan to another and that I will be paid renewals as long as I am contracted with the insurance carrier. This will be my sole income. It seems they will provide training and mentorship.

Is there anything that you suggest I make sure and consider before signing a contract to work with this agency?

Thanks in advance for your advice. :)
My opinion...you have the wrong perspective. Seniors need sound advice from people with high integrity in this area. If your heart and passion is in professionally serving the senior community in this area, the money will take care of itself, and it will be "worth it" on a deeper level that just financially.

It's my understanding they will have a booth set up in a mall, i believe they said they may also have one in a Walgreens and show us how to approach doctor's offices and senior centers.

I have been without work for 5 months now, no income coming in, and am wondering if I will be able to make enough money to pay my basic bills, being I am starting out new or if I might be better off finding a job that pays a regular salary?

From some of the information I have read over the past couple of years, it seems that selling Med plans is much more complicated than it used to be and that there are so many restrictions in place now as far as approaching the seniors, cross selling, etc. I will have to make a decision pretty quickly here, if I am going to try and get all my certifications, E&O insurance, etc.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I thought I heard that you can no longer cold-call on seniors
to try and sell med plans?

Please don't start your career by cold calling seniors for MA. That IS a CMS violation.

Sorry Matilda, but some on this forum can be sarcastic. However, most of us are mature, responsible agents who only participate to provide honest, accurate information to advance our brethren. (insert sarcastic "smiley" here)

My opinion...you have the wrong perspective. Seniors need sound advice from people with high integrity in this area. If your heart and passion is in professionally serving the senior community in this area, the money will take care of itself, and it will be "worth it" on a deeper level that just financially.

Thanks for your advice. In regards to what you have written, just let me say that everything I have done has always been with integrity. I have worked in commissioned-sales for several years and have always been ethical unlike many people I have worked with who will do anything or say anything to make a sale. I also want to find a career that will be fulfilling, as you mentioned and I would like to find something that I can become involved with, learn well, and continue doing until I decide to retire. I am just trying to gage this opportunity and whether or not you think it is feasible to make a decent living doing only this full-time and what kind of time frame I should expect for it to take. I know a lot depends on each individual and the amount of time and effort they put into it, but I am wanting to know on the average, in your opinion and those of you who have experience in this area, what kind of time frame is realistic for me to become knowledgeable enough to do this well enough to be comfortable financially.

There is so much information on this forum and it can be very confusing as to which path I should take. I believe if I can find a good agency that will work with me and mentor me and provide me the tools and training needed then maybe I will have a chance, but I have talked with several agencies and then researched them on this forum and so many of them have bad reviews. At this rate I will never make a decision!

Last edited:
Please don't start your career by cold calling seniors for MA. That IS a CMS violation.

Sorry Matilda, but some on this forum can be sarcastic. However, most of us are mature, responsible agents who only participate to provide honest, accurate information to advance our brethren. (insert sarcastic "smiley" here)

Self-righteous much?

One would presume that at the latest, after going through AHIP or any of the compliance training it would be obvious that folks were being sarcastic.

What makes you think that folks can't be mature and sarcastic?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The reality is that this IS how people are feeding themselves. If you're getting into this business just to do service work, one would hope you're independently wealthy or have other ways of supporting yourself.

If you're not selling insurance to earn a great living, I think you're doing something wrong.

Last edited:

I'm sorry, I stopped providing accurate honest information when the forum stopped paying me for advice. I wish I could be more like you...:skeptical:

To try and answer your question I think it would take 3 to 4 years to be up to a decent $40-$50,000 income. The 1st couple years will be tough until you get some renewals built up. Especially since you will be missing this AEP for the most part. January - March can be alot of service work for all the activity that just took place from Oct - Dec.

There are alot of variables that go into it such as population in your area and also the competition where you live. I did buy lead cards the first few years in the business and alot of those clients are still earning me a nice commission because they have switched Med Sup plans or added fixed annuities or LTC.

Midlevel said:
To try and answer your question I think it would take 3 to 4 years to be up to a decent $40-$50,000 income. The 1st couple years will be tough until you get some renewals built up. Especially since you will be missing this AEP for the most part. January - March can be alot of service work for all the activity that just took place from Oct - Dec.

There are alot of variables that go into it such as population in your area and also the competition where you live. I did buy lead cards the first few years in the business and alot of those clients are still earning me a nice commission because they have switched Med Sup plans or added fixed annuities or LTC.

3-4 years to build up to 40-50k? That's very part time... You should be close to or above 6 figures if you aren't lazy.

Back