American General Interview Today

Bozack,
I am scheduled to start at AIG/AGLA in about a week. Has taken a while waiting for license, etc. Compensation is same as yours. Let's hope you get a lot of responses from those who know so all of us new to this can get some answers!

I worked for the debit side in the early 1990's and now they will not re-hire me because I was there and left. Think twice about leaving, that's for sure.

If I can remember right, you'll have to produce a fair amount of life sales to "justify" that salary... These guys are not my favorite career company, but they have a cheap term product which will help. As far as advanced life cases, there are much better places for clients to go.

OK, Interviewed today and everything went good. Have second interview scheduled for Tues. The pay is 45% commissions with opportunity to earn bonuses at 70-125% of commissions. I have to pay out of pocket to get my licenses but they will reimburse all but $25.00. Once licensed I will be payed $500-$600 a week for 17 weeks while training. Anything I sell during training will go in a pool which after training half my commissions will be paid as earned and half will go in the pool. I will also be paid 9% of pool money weekly along with my commissions. Does this sound about right for captive life insurance companies?

Make sure that is a salary and not a draw. They will expect alot of production for that kind of salary or draw, but you may get pretty good training if you're new to the business and then down the road, if you're unhappy go with an independent agency or on your own to obtain better contracts. Good luck. What state are you in?

Bozack,
I'm in TN. Seems that AGLA has the same starting package everywhere. Like Rabbi says, what's to lose. From what I have read on these boards (been lurking for about a month), 17 weeks should be enough time to tell if a person can make it or not, so having a salary and benefits during the training time seems to be a good thing.

I have been with AGLA about 5 months now and enjoying the company. Even if you don't validate after that 17 weeks they won't just fire you but they will lower your pay.

They seem to be competitive on most types of insurance and the new term they just came out with is very nice. Hope all goes well for you guys!

Neal Lord

Back