Any Decent Legitimate Mini Meds Fro the Uninsurables?

arnguy

Guru
5000 Post Club
If I recall correctly, about two years ago John P posted was invited to the home office of a start up limited benefit medical insurance company. I believe the company was located in Florida and in his opinion looked as though it may be a viable product. I never heard any more about it and although I agree that a mini-med is a kamikaze solution to the health care problem (until Obamacare kicks in), there are occassions when it may be the last resort in states without a high-risk pool such as PA.

Do you recall that, John, or any other forum members?

ICanBenefit no longer markets through brokers I believe.

I use Health Insurance Innovations.

Underwritten by US Fire Insurance Company.

They get network repricing for all pre-ex, and the indemnity reimbursements for hospitalizations/surgeries after 12 months.

Also, if you're client qualifies and if it is offered in you're state consider HPA's 12x3 Plan.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, about two years ago John P posted was invited to the home office of a start up limited benefit medical insurance company. I believe the company was located in Florida and in his opinion looked as though it may be a viable product. I never heard any more about it and although I agree that a mini-med is a kamikaze solution to the health care problem (until Obamacare kicks in), there are occassions when it may be the last resort in states without a high-risk pool such as PA.

Do you recall that, John, or any other forum members?

Yes, Ican. I flew down to look at their operation and it was quite impressive. They were working on a mini-med with an OOP - like 25K. Didn't last and they lost their underwriter.

Thanks, for the reply, John. I thought it may have been a dream. Too bad that it didn't last.:)

Thanks for your input,YGMM. I will research your suggestion.:)

One point is that almost without exception, our clients are far better off getting drugs filled at Walmart or using one of those online drug stores like drugstore.com, they get better pricing than using the discount drug benefit(no such thing as a true copay drug card) that's included in a mini med.

One point is that almost without exception, our clients are far better off getting drugs filled at Walmart or using one of those online drug stores like drugstore.com, they get better pricing than using the discount drug benefit(no such thing as a true copay drug card) that's included in a mini med.

Agreed, Walmart, Target, Walgreens, and even some of the supermarket chains offer cheap generics. Also, there is Costco for brand name drugs,

So package an accident plan, a critical illness plan, and throw in a discount card (for networks, dental/vision, and Rx), and you got yourself a little minimed of your own. Present it in a way as to showcase the benefits as a plan, instead of three separate components (but inform them of course), and you will be in a good boat for being able to offer them something.

Anyone familiar with Mini-med plans or accident plans that offer tele-a-doc coverage...Where you can call the Dr explain your conditions and they can write a script? I saw this on an Accident plan for $19/month and a larger plan for $30/month unfortunatly it wasn't available in Maine...

Anyone familiar with Mini-med plans or accident plans that offer tele-a-doc coverage...Where you can call the Dr explain your conditions and they can write a script? I saw this on an Accident plan for $19/month and a larger plan for $30/month unfortunatly it wasn't available in Maine...

Many discount/mini-med plans are not available in Maine.

Latest posts

Back