Are AARP MA Plans Going to Be Called "United Healthcare"?

A friend told me that they would no longer be hiding behind the AARP name and would revert back to Secure Horizons by United Healthcare next year. Anybody heard this?

FWIW: I have been certified by UHC to offer AARP products that include both Med Supp and MA plans as well as Secure Horizons products for the past several years. This year (2011) UHC/ Secure Horizons Med Sups were restricted to ICAs in my area.... I could only offer AARP Med Sups, but the MA plans were "AARP Medicare Complete from Secure Horizons". (My area... KS and MO.)

Wow, didn't know that.
I do know i just saw a commercial that said "these are the only plans ENDORSED by aarp.
We could never say endorsed before.

The commercial you're referring to was the AARP Med Supp commercial, not MA. You still cannot say that AARP endorses UHC MA plans.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
FWIW: I have been certified by UHC to offer AARP products that include both Med Supp and MA plans as well as Secure Horizons products for the past several years. This year (2011) UHC/ Secure Horizons Med Sups were restricted to ICAs in my area.... I could only offer AARP Med Sups, but the MA plans were "AARP Medicare Complete from Secure Horizons". (My area... KS and MO.)

UHC is having another "re-branding" spasm for all things MA.

Last edited:
Wow, didn't know that.
I do know i just saw a commercial that said "these are the only plans ENDORSED by aarp.
We could never say endorsed before.

If you will note, the AARP Life Insurance commercials on TV will say "The only Life Insurance endorsed by AARP". In addition, marketing material for Medicare Supplement plans claim endorsement by AARP.

However, CMS forbids any commercial enterprise from endorsing THEIR plans, a.k.a MA plans.

You have to pay attention to the details.... No agent can say any so-called AARP MA plan is "endorsed" by AARP, as per CMS Medicare Marketing regulations. I have no doubt this will eventually apply to Med Sups as CMS gains a foothold on regulating them, too, but this is just my speculation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
UHC is having another "re-branding" spasm for all things MA.

I have not seen proof of this yet. Where did you come by this information? (I don't doubt it, I just haven't seen it myself.) My UHC FMO claims to have the 2012 MA info on UHC, but when I pressed for the specifics, it is always "well call back ______ and we will tell you." Same-o you know what.....

Last edited:
They are simply dropping the SecureHorizons brand. So if you sold a SH MA it will now be called UHC MA. If you sold AARP MA from SH, it will not be called AARP MA from UHC. All secondary brands (like Secure) are suppose to be going away so that it's one brand that consumers are familiar with - UnitedHealthcare

There is no "endorsement" as others have stated for the MA or Part D products. The Med Supp marketing team is suppose to be using "endorsement" lightly in the marketing so that it doesn't draw too much attention. This is why you won't see "endorsed" on any of the agent marketing materials available on the toolkit.

The Secure Horizons name is very well liked on the West Coast, especially in California. I'm a little surprised that they would drop the name entirely.

AARP is a more widely recognized brand than SecureHorizons. In fact it's one of the most recognized brands in the country.

Think national rather than regional.

AARP is a more widely recognized brand than SecureHorizons. In fact it's one of the most recognized brands in the country.

Think national rather than regional.

The AARP brand also turns many seniors away though. Secure Horizons does not.

I used to work Telesales for UHC and I received many negative calls regarding the AARP name. AARP name is received well in certain areas but in other areas, people want nothing to do with the AARP name.

I used to work Telesales for UHC and I received many negative calls regarding the AARP name. AARP name is received well in certain areas but in other areas, people want nothing to do with the AARP name.

I always ask "what do you think about AARP?" about 50% of the seniors say they would not buy any of their products. 25% trust them. 25% are indifferent to them either way.

I'm in an area though where AARP med sups have never been priced well.

I always ask "what do you think about AARP?" about 50% of the seniors say they would not buy any of their products. 25% trust them. 25% are indifferent to them either way.

I'm in an area though where AARP med sups have never been priced well.

During and immediately following health care reform debates, there was pushback from the market place regarding AARP's administrative arm's position.

Let's use your numbers. If 25% of the market trusts AARP, that's a huge number! Add a portion of the 25% you feel are indifferent and the numbers are mind boggling. :goofy:

Back