As a "side hustle"?

Until you get to the level of having even a snowball's chance in hell of even making any money....RVP, in which case you become responsible for operating a "store front" office.

You might be on street level commissions by then.. With a few pennies in over-rides. However, if you're an agent that doesn't want to run a whole network of agents, just do the street level contracts up front.

You might be on street level commissions by then.. With a few pennies in over-rides. However, if you're an agent that doesn't want to run a whole network of agents, just do the street level contracts up front.
And become part of the force that averaged 0.16 policy sales a month (1.92 per year), which may include the policy you yourself purchased, but doesn't include policies terminated later in the year.

Life insurance as a side hustle is perfect for you. It will give you the best return for your money. I would suggest buying a batch of internet life leads. Be very selective when finding a good lead source.

You can call these for 1-2 hours a night just a few times a week and/or weekends. Property and casualty will give you better long term residuals but life is a great start. You remain your own boss.

I already posted my thoughts. I simply cant believe there is such discord on this one:

Here's the thing, We turn on new agents. We provide them resources. Like trainers, etc. But I always use the analogy that you need to climb Mt. Everest. We provide the Sherpas to help shoulder your load from Base camp 1-3. But at some point as a Part time agent, you will recognize that you get stuck often bouncing back and forth from base camp 2 and 3. Never going for the summit. Because you don't have a singular focus. At some point you are caught in a winter storm, you cant breathe, you are sick of the food. Winter in the Himalayas is coming and you are not doing what it takes to get to the top. Your learning curve is Mt. Everest. Your IA agency is Mt. Everest. You can't go back down in the morning to do your day job and try to summit Mt. Everest at night or quickly, or haphazardly. You got to sell your car, get your butt to the Himalayas, train, buy supplies, get your mind and body ready and take 3 months and go do it completely.

Your analogy is short sighted and is based on YOUR goals.

As a part time agent, I balance my time just fine. I don’t buy leads or outbound market. Considering my marketing plan takes 6m’s to a year to even start being effective, by your assessment, I should just starve or just do what you do.

Secondly, i just want to throw this out there, for L&H as an Independent Agent, I only need 3 things from my IMO. The best contract that I can get, a release when I ask for it, and an answer when I ask a question about spending/getting my money.

EVERYTHING else is nice, but is not a requirement for me to sign with someone. My IMO is on here. I selected them because I appreciate a family run small business vs a large company. I feel like when I talk to them, which is usually a quick email, I get a response in a timely manner.

The truth is, your garbage analogy is what makes H&L agents write bad business, take advances, get chargebacks, and go into chargeback hell/vector.

I work as earned, by choice. I can fire clients TODAY. I don’t smell of desperation. I am in control.

In P&C, things are different. There’s more service work. You generally start as a producer with a salary. That’s not a great side hustle.

Last edited:
This is crazy! Ins should not be a side hustle!
I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. It might not be good for some, but could be great for others.

Heck, if someone was just selling one thing - say mortgage insurance... I mean it ain't rocket science, you could easily do it part time. You could learn everything you need to know to be successful, and work it on the side of your f/t job. How successful would you be, who knows...but it absolutely could be done.

The most successful advisor I personally know worked part time for 4 years, until he was making more part time than his full time gig paid so he quit and went full time and now makes more than 10x what his full time job paid.

I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. It might not be good for some, but could be great for others.

Heck, if someone was just selling one thing - say mortgage insurance... I mean it ain't rocket science, you could easily do it part time. You could learn everything you need to know to be successful, and work it on the side of your f/t job. How successful would you be, who knows...but it absolutely could be done.

The most successful advisor I personally know worked part time for 4 years, until he was making more part time than his full time gig paid so he quit and went full time and now makes more than 10x what his full time job paid.
You failed to mention that his full time gig was delivering newspapers issued once a week in a very small village?

Back