• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Assurant Critical Illness

OklaMan

I am about to appoint directly with Assurant Health, and was wondering what commission percentage that I should expect to receive. I have been selling their products for the past several years, and have sold a sizable amount of their products. I was contracted through a BGA, rather than being contracted directly. I have been released from that appointment, but I want to make sure I negotiate a fair commission percentage.

Any thoughts, insight, or experience would be appreciated.

I am about to appoint directly with Assurant Health, and was wondering what commission percentage that I should expect to receive. I have been selling their products for the past several years, and have sold a sizable amount of their products. I was contracted through a BGA, rather than being contracted directly. I have been released from that appointment, but I want to make sure I negotiate a fair commission percentage.

Tier 1 GA commissions for CI are, I believe, 60%, it takes significant production to get one of the higher Tier levels.

For some reason my Assurant agent website won't download my latest commission schedule for Supplemental but I believe the 60% is correct.

Tier 1 GA commissions for CI are, I believe, 60%, it takes significant production to get one of the higher Tier levels.

For some reason my Assurant agent website won't download my latest commission schedule for Supplemental but I believe the 60% is correct.

From what I am understanding so far, 60% is the lowest possible commission level for Assurant's CI product. I am speaking of their term life chassis critical illness.

From what I am understanding so far, 60% is the lowest possible commission level for Assurant's CI product. I am speaking of their term life chassis critical illness.

If your gonna sell term life CI, why not sell Assurity or CBL and make 30-50%+ more?

If your gonna sell term life CI, why not sell Assurity or CBL and make 30-50%+ more?

I am appointed with CBL, and my commission rate is in the range you're mentioning. And that is exactly the motivation for my question. Assurant has a much easier, online application process, so I enjoy the convenience of their application. But not at the expense of, in my case, 30-40% less commission. So, I was asking around to see if comparable commissions are realistic. There's no sense in me trying to negotiate a comparable percentage from Assurant, if it's not realistic. The only reason why I may have some ability to negotiate with them, is because I've done a pretty fair amount of business with them over the past 5 years, or so.

That's what I said, Tier 1 is the lowest commission level for a GA with Assurant.

I believe Tier 2 is 65% for CI.

To get significantly higher commissions you need Tier 3 but that is for $1M+ in annualized premium in the previous year. I know this because I am at Tier 3 for 2014.

Assurant's CI product has pretty strict underwriting guidelines as well, definitely tougher that CBL with slightly lower rates.

I've come to the realization after 12 years of selling C.I. that a higher renewal commission is more important than a higher first year, if the trade-off of that big first-year commission is a puny 5% renewal.

Dearborn National/Colorado Bankers life is a prime example of big first year and puny renewals for the next 9 years. Then, they auto-renew (guaranteed re-issue) this 10 year term policy and cut the agent out of the picture all-together...unless the agent contacts the client and re-writes it..assuming the client is still healthy enough to qualify.

That's what I said, Tier 1 is the lowest commission level for a GA with Assurant.

I believe Tier 2 is 65% for CI.

To get significantly higher commissions you need Tier 3 but that is for $1M+ in annualized premium in the previous year. I know this because I am at Tier 3 for 2014.

Assurant's CI product has pretty strict underwriting guidelines as well, definitely tougher that CBL with slightly lower rates.

Yes, I think you're spot on, after getting some other feedback yesterday. While I write a significant amount of CI, I am not up to $1M. So it might have to be CBL for me.

----------

I've come to the realization after 12 years of selling C.I. that a higher renewal commission is more important than a higher first year, if the trade-off of that big first-year commission is a puny 5% renewal.

Dearborn National/Colorado Bankers life is a prime example of big first year and puny renewals for the next 9 years. Then, they auto-renew (guaranteed re-issue) this 10 year term policy and cut the agent out of the picture all-together...unless the agent contacts the client and re-writes it..assuming the client is still healthy enough to qualify.

You make a valid point worth considering, however, it's been my experience that CI policies, most often, doesn't stay on the books for over ten years. And it looks like the difference I would receive in 1st year commissions between the two companies, is sizable. I would just say, it would take several years of renewals to equal the difference of what I will receive on first year commissions.

I do appreciate all forum member input, greatly. And if anyone else has further input, I'm all ears.

GA Tier 1 pays 70% and Tier 2 pays 75% with Assurants CI

Back