• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Avoid Medical Collections with $10.00 Payments?

You make an excellent point. I have worked with a strong Libertarian all day and had my hair ruffled when I came across the thread. Thanks for getting me back to reality. My wife will be grateful I got to vent before i go home though.
I wasn't singling you out FE, there are several other posters involved as well. It detracts from the insurance component of this forum is all. Stick to the topic please, everyone.

"Avoid Medical Collections with $10.00 Payments?" What is the "insurance component" in that? LOL

"Avoid Medical Collections with $10.00 Payments?" What is the "insurance component" in that? LOL

Apparently you failed to read the opening paragraph by the OP of this thread. I'd say the "insurance component" in this discusson is pretty clear. I've even highlighted it and underlined it to make it easy for you.

If a person has a high-deductible plan, but doesn't have the funds to pay that deductible, OR, has no health insurance at all..can he/she send the medical provider(s) $10.00 per month to avoid collections?

See, insurance component is mentioned three times in the first 35 words.

THANKS EVERYONE!

I read over each of your messages related to the topic of this post/thread.

Several things are clearer to me now:
1. Most Medical providers willingly negotiate deep discounts rather than refer the patient to collections, attorneys, etc..
2. Most medical providers will not go through the trouble to sue for medical debt unless the patient has not made a good-faith attempt to repay the debt.
3. Even though a former patient sends the Doctor/Hospital $10.00 per month, the medical provider can still come after that former patient for more money at any time.
4. Illinois has a strong "Fair Patient Billing Act" law.
Link: Illinois Legal Advocate | Fair Patient Billing Act

In 2007 I had a client who canceled his health insurance because the premium went over $350 per month. He was a 55 year old smoker who told me that if he got sick, the hospital had to take care of him, thanks to the Illinois laws.

Just a few months later, James contracted lung cancer. He died, but his wife told me about how the hospital put him in a basement hallway on a hospital bed and hooked up an Intravenous Chemo treatment. After 6 treatments, he was history.

As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, even if you have a HUGE deductible, the health insurance is like your country club membership card. It's get you in to the hospital and treated with dignity. You can work out the payment of this deductible later. If you get internal cancer, $100,000+ in medical bills is a given. Thanks to your health insurance, the hospital will make a lot of money, regardless of your deductible.

I've used the sad story of James's lung cancer to sell a lot of higher deductible health insurance benefit packages. (Health/Injury/CriticalIllness/Life/Disability Combos) The reason I started this thread was to find out if medical providers would accept small payments instead of suing for the deductible amount that the patient owes. Since the answer is USUALLY yes, I'm now comfortable telling prospective high-deductible prospects that MOST medical providers will accept easy payment arrangements. (I'll also show the HSA route as well. )

Thanks again to everyone who made a positive contribution to my question. Best of success to each of you!

-Allen in Chicagoland
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Apparently you failed to read the opening paragraph by the OP of this thread. I'd say the "insurance component" in this discusson is pretty clear. I've even highlighted it and underlined it to make it easy for you.

Dave, have compassion for MustFastPitch. It's obvious from his avatar photo that the poor fella has been through hell and is drinking to kill the pain.
:1err::1cute::1laugh::1eek:(see what i mean..he's moody too)

-AC

Last edited:

Really, so if you took all that out and just said: Can someone avoid medical collections with $10.00 payments? it wouldn't be the same thing but without the "insurance component"?

When we talk about the Bush Tax Cuts we just need to throw in the word "insurance" a few times to keep you from throwing a hissy fit?

Just throwing a bit of common sense on the issue:

A 50K hospital bill at $10 per month is 5,000 months or 416 years. I'm not sure that's gonna work out for the hospital.

Just throwing a bit of common sense on the issue:

A 50K hospital bill at $10 per month is 5,000 months or 416 years. I'm not sure that's gonna work out for the hospital.

BUT.....you are not putting insurance in on this accusation.....if the insurance company pays a big chunk of the $50,000 they will work with you......

Back