BCBSTX Discontinue U65 PPO Network

What kind of business model plans on losses that will be absorbed by a disappearing reinsurance program?

Can we at least give BCBS some credit for "trying?" So, their estimates were OFF? They went into this thing with no claims experience on the risks and took a stab at it. They even offered coverage in ALL 254 counties and perhaps didn't cherry pick their counties. Does anyone know what the difference between claims and premiums were for the other carriers? If they are similar, then I think that BCBS would be vindicated. Then again, maybe not. Only BCBS made the decision to operate in all of the counties. I'd like to see if BXBS will pull out of some counties that lost them $$. Then, no carrier would likely be in those counties, and that would be a bad thing.

What kind of business model plans on losses that will be absorbed by a disappearing reinsurance program?

Can we at least give BCBS some credit for "trying?" So, their estimates were OFF? They went into this thing with no claims experience on the risks and took a stab at it. They even offered coverage in ALL 254 counties and perhaps didn't cherry pick their counties. Does anyone know what the difference between claims and premiums were for the other carriers? If they are similar, then I think that BCBS would be vindicated. Then again, maybe not. Only BCBS made the decision to operate in all of the counties. I'd like to see if BXBS will pull out of some counties that lost them $$. Then, no carrier would likely be in those counties, and that would be a bad thing.

BCBS is telling us they miscalculated the adverse selection and the consumer utilization in 2014. Miscalculated? Every agent was surprised that the 2014 rates weren't even higher. We were surprised that some carriers offered larger networks when others offered anorexic networks. And we were surprised that large players (like UHC) saw a storm a'comin.

I wonder what BCBS was thinking. Perhaps they needed to "play" in order to keep the federal program and the medicare/medicaid accounts? Perhaps they knew they had large reserves and wanted to bulk up on volume (at a loss) knowing they could make major changes when other carriers left the field?

If that was their plan, then they made a pretty good long-term plan. But if they really didn't know that claims would be this high, then they need new actuaries.

Like TaterPeeler so eloquently wrote, "with half a brain, on 'crank', and drunk...." Ah, forget it. I can't quote Tater with quite the same pizzazz.

Corp ppl are not always the sharpest tools in the shed. The actuaries could very well have got it wrong. Honestly though, Medicare Advantage plans pick and choose which counties they choose to operate in all of the time.
Maybe there is some kind of back room pact where BCBS agrees to operate in ALL counties and gets a bonus out of it?

If each of the blues didn't cover their whole state, they'd have to change their name to Blue Cross Blue Shield of Portions of Texas

Back