Breaking News - Employer Group Mandates Delayed 1 Year

So with this delay, employers can still "carve" out a segment of their employees who are offered coverage, and others that are not?

I just heard it on NBC nightly news, and it made me think of a question. I keep hearing that they delayed the penalty for large groups that DO NOT HAVE insurance. That's the first penalty (the $2,000 penalty for every full-time employee, less the first 30). How about the 2nd penalty for large groups that HAVE insurance, but it's not minimum value or affordable? That's the $3,000 penalty for every full-time employee who gets a subsidy in the exchange, less the first 30. Did they delay the first penalty and not the second one? I'm not saying I know the answer, but if in fact they only delayed one penalty, then I can hear big whooshing sound of large group health plans going away.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
So with this delay, employers can still "carve" out a segment of their employees who are offered coverage, and others that are not?

Yes. Most large employers don't do this. It's smaller, family held companies that do this. However, one segment of large employers who may carve-out is the labor-intensive groups like restaurants, hotels, landscapers, staffing companies, etc.

Last edited:
With no penalty, I would assume business owners that haven't made adjustments will operate as usual for another year. But I would be PO'd if I modified my staff to comply only to hear "Nevermind."

Hey, Chumps from Oxford if you read this thread. Does this remind you of an early Seinfeld episode?

Levels, Jerry, levels ... No, I'm not doing the levels anymore.

I just heard it on NBC nightly news, and it made me think of a question. I keep hearing that they delayed the penalty for large groups that DO NOT HAVE insurance. That's the first penalty (the $2,000 penalty for every full-time employee, less the first 30). How about the 2nd penalty for large groups that HAVE insurance, but it's not minimum value or affordable? That's the $3,000 penalty for every full-time employee who gets a subsidy in the exchange, less the first 30. Did they delay the first penalty and not the second one? I'm not saying I know the answer, but if in fact they only delayed one penalty, then I can hear big whooshing sound of large group health plans going away.

Unless I'm mistaken, the $3,000 penalty doesn't carve out the first 30. It's only when someone receives a subsidy and coverage doesn't meet the affordability or MV standards.

Right?

Unless I'm mistaken, the $3,000 penalty doesn't carve out the first 30. It's only when someone receives a subsidy and coverage doesn't meet the affordability or MV standards.

Right?

My mind is numb. I can't think. Does it or doesn't it carve out the first 30. Literally, I am stunned and can't think. It's time like this I wish I was a drinker and could just order some hard stuff!

With no penalty, I would assume business owners that haven't made adjustments will operate as usual for another year. But I would be PO'd if I modified my staff to comply only to hear "Nevermind."

At the same time I don't think businesses are going to open the hiring flood gates like many are hoping for. Why would an employer go through the expense and time to hire new workers just to have to deal with this mess in another year? Businesses have been cutting hours and openings since this bill was passed and won't be replacing anyone just because of the delay.

I also don't see this as a big election swing in 2014. Sure, businesses won't feel the actual pain of paying penalties, but they will be facing the pain in under 60 days come election time. Unless this provision gets completely repealed, business will be facing this penalty sooner or later and business owners are smart enough to project pain.

Back