Can Some one enroll into Medicare when

vic120

Guru
5000 Post Club
OH
Person is 67 years and is working on group wants to get Medicare and keep working, and cancel group

can they do this?

can they get Medicare and keep group over 20 employs

Yes they can enroll in Medicare at anytime as long as they have creditable group coverage. The key is whether or not the employer plan will allow them to come off outside of the plans Open Enrollment period. Enrolling in Medicare after 65 does not create an SEP to drop group coverage...so it really depends on how that group plan is set up. That's my understanding at least

Yes they can enroll in Medicare at anytime as long as they have creditable group coverage. The key is whether or not the employer plan will allow them to come off outside of the plans Open Enrollment period. Enrolling in Medicare after 65 does not create an SEP to drop group coverage...so it really depends on how that group plan is set up. That's my understanding at least
Sounds right. You also have to find out if they already took part B when they turned 65. Some people did even when they didn’t need to because they got bad advice or just acted with no advice.
If they did that, then it can vary by states whether they would be G.I. into a Medicare supplement or not. Some states you are guaranteed issue for a supplement anytime you leave a group. But in other states, you’re only G.I. a supplement if you’re losing your coverage through no choice of your own.

Sounds right. You also have to find out if they already took part B when they turned 65. Some people did even when they didn’t need to because they got bad advice or just acted with no advice.
If they did that, then it can vary by states whether they would be G.I. into a Medicare supplement or not. Some states you are guaranteed issue for a supplement anytime you leave a group. But in other states, you’re only G.I. a supplement if you’re losing your coverage through no choice of your own.

He wants to get Medicare so he did not enroll in part B

Yes its been a while since I delt with this but you are right NO SEP that is the issue

they will have penalty later as well for not getting drug cov

Thank You

Yes its been a while since I delt with this but you are right NO SEP that is the issue

they will have penalty later as well for not getting drug cov

Thank You
Not an agent so this is just a guess, but:

If the employer drug coverage is creditable for Medicare, It seems like the Part d penalty would be avoided as long there was not gap of over 60 days between end of Employer coverage and start of PDP.

If you can get Part A anytime and only have to have Part A to get a PDP, I don't see how a PDP penalty would be an automatic result in the situation.

Employer plan requirements for leaving the plan and steps for getting Part B coverage in place would seem to me to be more serious issues to clarify in this case.

Not an agent so this is just a guess, but:

If the employer drug coverage is creditable for Medicare, It seems like the Part d penalty would be avoided as long there was not gap of over 60 days between end of Employer coverage and start of PDP.

If you can get Part A anytime and only have to have Part A to get a PDP, I don't see how a PDP penalty would be an automatic result in the situation.

Employer plan requirements for leaving the plan and steps for getting Part B coverage in place would seem to me to be more serious issues to clarify in this case.

Here is the thing though there is NO SEP

so if he gets Medicare and a supp and cancels his group he will have a penalty when he gets PDP during AEP

Here is the thing though there is NO SEP

so if he gets Medicare and a supp and cancels his group he will have a penalty when he gets PDP during AEP
Ok, yes. my apologies. I just connected with what you are saying.

He wants to get Medicare so he did not enroll in part B
I understand that’s what he’s saying. But I’ve run into several that were already on A&B while on group and just didn’t understand that they didn’t need B yet.

I understand that’s what he’s saying. But I’ve run into several that were already on A&B while on group and just didn’t understand that they didn’t need B yet.

Yes I run into that too many times as well

Latest posts

Back