Cannabis business owners?

kpbdy99

Super Genius
First time I've run into this. The owner of a recreational cannabis business, and I can't find anyone who'll write a personal life insurance policy. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

First time I've run into this. The owner of a recreational cannabis business, and I can't find anyone who'll write a personal life insurance policy. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Grower/ manufacturer or local retail store?

If local retail store, I think the options are more limited & not well publicized. You may want to have him reach out to his trade groups as there are some group policies or specialty agencies that work with the handful of carriers willing to. I don't know the carrier names, but saw some info last year on the specialty agency offering coverage.

Side note, we had no issue finding carriers for a 60 year old woman that owned a large grow operation. She picked up some Whole Life & SPWL from a single state captive carrier in Michigan & a nice size IUL from Minnesota Life if I recall the facts correctly

Grower/ manufacturer or local retail store?

If local retail store, I think the options are more limited & not well publicized. You may want to have him reach out to his trade groups as there are some group policies or specialty agencies that work with the handful of carriers willing to. I don't know the carrier names, but saw some info last year on the specialty agency offering coverage.

Side note, we had no issue finding carriers for a 60 year old woman that owned a large grow operation. She picked up some Whole Life & SPWL from a single state captive carrier in Michigan & a nice size IUL from Minnesota Life if I recall the facts correctly
Thanks, Allen. I'll check out ML.

Global Atlantic will look at them (and likely take them) depending on several factors

a nice size IUL from Minnesota Life if I recall the facts correctly

Minny will not normally write these cases so I have no idea how that got approved.

Last edited:
Global Atlantic will look at them (and likely take them) depending on several factors

Minny will not normally write these cases so I have no idea how that got approved.

It is possible the case I am mentioning that the woman was either merely a non active stock holder or had sold the company

Back