Child Only

Agents have to make a decision based on the conscience as to whether or not to offer STM. I am not that commission hungry and would rather pass on an STM sale.

Totally agree. Its better than nothing.

It creates a false sense of security, IMO, in someone who signs up for STM. As an agent, I don't ever want to be in a position where I suggested something that resulted in a claim not being paid, the risk (potential liability) is not worth the reward (small commission) for me. If a client asks me about STM, I suggest that they enroll on their own.

It creates a false sense of security, IMO, in someone who signs up for STM. As an agent, I don't ever want to be in a position where I suggested something that resulted in a claim not being paid, the risk (potential liability) is not worth the reward (small commission) for me. If a client asks me about STM, I suggest that they enroll on their own.

I (personally) have had an STM claim. I've had clients with STM claims. It worked exactly how it was supposed to. Never had an issue. "It will pay if you are transported via ambulance, anything else, probably not."

Just asking (so don't throw anything) if a client calls you right now and needs coverage without an SEP, do you say "Sorry, there is nothing available outside OEP" OR "There is something called Short term medical, but I don't sell it."?

I would think there is just as much liability on a claim that STM would pay on with the first statement. If they are told there is nothing available, then have a heart attack and find out you didn't tell them about STM (which should cover the heart attack if they didn't lie on the app), doesn't that create a liability issue, also?

Just asking (so don't throw anything) if a client calls you right now and needs coverage without an SEP, do you say "Sorry, there is nothing available outside OEP"

That is pretty much what I do and leave it at that. If they want to go looking somewhere else, that's fine with me.

I have repeated this before so will spare you the long version.

Had a client a few years ago that, unknown to me, dropped her major med and bought an STM off my site. She was getting married in a few months and would go on her new hubby's plan.

Shortly after she was in a bad accident. Really banged up bad. The STM paid but was about to terminate. She called wanting to get back on the old plan since her fiance broke off the engagement.

I told her no carrier would take her until she was released from a doctors care.

That was when she started to cry.

I can't deal with that and won't if I don't have to.

That is pretty much what I do and leave it at that. If they want to go looking somewhere else, that's fine with me.

Had a client a few years ago that, unknown to me, dropped her major med and bought an STM off my site. She was getting married in a few months and would go on her new hubby's plan.

Shortly after she was in a bad accident. Really banged up bad. The STM paid but was about to terminate. She called wanting to get back on the old plan since her fiance broke off the engagement.

I told her no carrier would take her until she was released from a doctors care.

Uhhh...no. Stay away from girl tears. Tears aren't fun.

While I understand your point this situation was based pre 2k14 when as we all know everything changed. I have carriers that will accept someone coming off a STM as an internal QLE outside OE and allow them to get coverage. While they may not take advantage of Cost sharing or Subsidy, they can still get coverage.

Your case somarco was also a situation of better to have that than nothing at all. While no one wants to hear a client go through issues with coverage (including tears) it's better she had the STM vs. Nothing at all.

Everyone here has based their judgment/opinion/POV of the STM product based on past experiences...I cannot blame you for that.

I would like to note that not all STM products are created equal. I am VERY picky on what STM products I offer to clients should the situation arise.

Last edited:
Ask for more state specific. Michigan has one I use for child only. Health Plus of Michigan in the area I sell.

Back